Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you going with the house move and finding caregivers Brad?

Thanks everyone. The move is hectic because the owners decided to book someone into the house the night before the first! Working on caregivers is being done on a part time basis until move is completed. Scheduling the operation will take place after we have caregivers.

Will keep all y'all in the loop.

hanks everybody, really appreciate the information!

Now I have another question, what is so lethal about a tracheostomy that it can dispatch us in a couple of minutes? I am seriously asking because I don't know. I don't doubt for a second that it's true but am not sure how it actually happens.

Thanks,
Brad

I think you are asking about the need for constant close monitoring? It is mostly that if you are completely dependent on the vent to breathe and the vent connection pops off which has happened if you can not move to reconnect then you need someone to do it for you. I know personally of 2 cases where this happened, the alarms were off and no one knew until it was too late

Hi Brad, my husband has been home on a vent for almost 4 years now and Nicki's comment is the main reason I can never be out of ear shot of my husband. Another possibility is that the trach tube becomes completely blocked and you cannot breathe at all. When this happened to us 911 was called but he would never have made it until they arrived. I had not been taught how to change the tube or what course of action to take in the event this happened. I just kept jamming the suction cather down the tube and was finally able to dislodge it but not before he had turned blue/ grey and I really thought it was over. The primary CALS has the responsibility of your life on them 24/7. Kate

Thanks y'all. So it's kinda like that movie Final Destination. Death sits around and creates this Rube Goldberg way to kill you.

Seriously though, it sounds like the main things are weakened defenses to a variety of diseases and random acts of fate. :)

Brad I second Kate. Earshot at all times for the possibility of the tube popping off, and yes it does happen. Also clogging is another issue as she has already mentioned. The clogging can happen whether or not you are vent dependent, but the popping off of the tube is more of a concern once you are vent dependent and whether or not you have any residual ability to breathe for a few minutes on your own or not.

What it means is you always have to have someone with you that knows how to reattach the tube and /or suction you. No running to the corner store for even 5 minutes and leaving you alone. This is part of why it is so hard on the caregiver.

So yes, random acts of fate.

Keep us posted.

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back