00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Manchester
Good Evening

First of all I would like to say a big thank you to everyone posting help on this site, I think what you do is incredible and I am grateful.

I have read the sticky a few times but had some questions I hope I can get help with on this forum.

I am a 28 year old man and My symptoms started 4 months ago with twitches in both calves which then spread throughout my body, I understand twitching is irrelevant without muscle function failure. I am still able to walk in heels and can do calf raises so I would doubt failure in this area?

I have seen my GP once when I first started having symptoms, he never carried out any evaluations and put it down to stress/anxiety. I have spoken to my GP 3 times since then and also have had bloods taken which came back perfectly fine.

I decided to arrange a neurological evaluation by a physiotherapist who has a background in neurological evaluations and he carried out a full physical exam. He advised that there was no loss of strength, no muscle loss function and also no issues with reactions or reflexes and no babinski sign. He also felt this was extreme health anxiety in his experience. Following a clean blood test and passing a physical exam my GP advised that I should put ALS out of my head an an EMG would not be necessary.

6 weeks has passed since then and I and am worried about potential bulbar as I have a feeling of awkwardness when swallowing saliva. I can swallow food and liquids perfectly fine but when swallowing saliva it can feel like extra effort/ throat tightness. I feel like I have an occasional slur when speaking but my partner and family have advised they have not noticed this. I do tend to mumble and get tongue tied from time to time.

Does any of the above sound like ALS?
If I pass a clinical exam and have clean bloods can this be enough to rule out ALS?
Can bulbar present with awkwardness swallowing saliva but not food or liquids?

I would appreciate any help you could provide

Thank you

No
yes
no

this is incredibly classic anxiety re als. Once limb onset is disproved people move to bulbar fears. Get help for anxiety. Block this site
enjoy life

Thanks Nikki really appreciate your reply, just one last question, can ALS appear in 2 different locations at once at onset for example having swallowing issues but twitching in calves at the same time ?

No

(locked due to multi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back