Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Eureka
Hello everyone. I am still a very new caregiver for my 64 year old mother with rapidly advancing ALS. She was diagnosed at the end of September and Hospice called within a week. She is still in denial of how much time she has, but the doctors say that it isn't long. So here is my question...everytime the hospice nurse comes over my mother's blood pressure keeps reading lower and lower. It is currently 101/69. She is worried. I don't know what to tell her. Any advice?

Your blood pressure is tied to fluid intake, meds being taken, respiratory rate,kidney function, etc. It is still in the normal range. I wouldn't worry yet especially if she is being seen regularly by hospice.

Thank you so much! I thought as much, but she is becoming very much like a child. It is strange how the roles have switched her. It seems like I have to take the motherly role now. But it is difficult seeing her be upset.

I've noticed that when people have only a short time to live, many of them get highly focused on themselves to the point of seeming selfish, which seems natural. For many folks, that seems like a change in personality.

Just my two-cent observation of patients in general. YMMV. --Mike

I don't know if she has a feeding tube, but either way, you might try something w/ sodium that is still nutritious, like low-sodium V8. For example, if her pulse is high for her, that signifies that it's not the best BP for her and so sodium as well as more liquid intake may help.

Last edited:
I would also talk to your pall nurse about all her observations each time they are done and question what she thinks about it all. Getting a good relationship with them really helps you feel you know what is going on and how you can best respond.

I've noticed that when people have only a short time to live, many of them get highly focused on themselves to the point of seeming selfish, which seems natural. For many folks, that seems like a change in personality.

Just my two-cent observation of patients in general. YMMV. --Mike

I would have to agree with you on this.

Yes she does have a peg tube. She says that she is always "too full" : ( We are a family of eaters. As a matter of fact my mother never needed an excuse to cook a big family meal for us. So her not being able to eat is so hard for me to deal with, although it doesn't seem to bother her much. She drinks her V8 juice with lemon because I read somewhere on this forum that it may help with saliva. It does. So that is high in sodium. Her pulse is always high, but I am not sure if that is ALS related. It must be though because it didn't start until she started slurring her words. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back