Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
md
City
baltimore
hello i joined this forum because i have a friend with als and i wanted to learn more about it and hear other people's stories. but i come to you with a question..

i am just curious to know your thoughts i am not in a panic or anything. just concerned that's all.

i hope this doesn't sound stupid but does headaches and neck stiffness have anything to do with als symptoms..

i have been having constant headaches on the left side of my head.. mid to lower part near the back of my head and spine.

also i have noticed twitching in my left calf and in other parts of my body. have been feeling a little weakness in my left forearm hand,and leg. i can still walk fine and i can still grip things but to me it feels tired.. i don't know.. it's hard to explain. been having trouble sleeping. and at night my legs are real restless. i do feel some fatigue in my right arm but more in the left.. people look at me like i am crazy when i say it cause to them i look healthy and fine but to me i feel these things on the inside..i am not jumping to any conclusions saying i am getting als, but i have noticed some of the symptoms but i am aware that i could be other things as well. my hands feel weak at times but not weak to the point where i can't hold things if that makes any sense.. .. i just wanted to know what some of you think..

It sounds more like a spine misalignment or something along those lines. I would see my doctor and get a referral to check on your discs, spine, etc. Bad headaches are typically not the first signs of ALS. I am sure it is hard to watch your friend and not associate your symptoms but honestly it doesn't sound like ALS at all.

Best of luck!
jennifer

cool maybe.. but yeah.. something is def wrong.. really having trouble sleeping didn't sleep to well last night.. hands and fingers feel weird.. neck still stiff.. when i sleep it's like i get this funny feeling in my left leg.. sometimes it shoots up the left leg causing me to jump.. but it's not like pain.. just a funny feeling.. still feeling weakness in the left leg and left arm/hand.. it's weird.. i can still move them(walk/ grab things). but they just don't feel normal.. but i have an appointment wed.. so i'll see what's up with it..

oh yeah.. i forgot.. still having twitching .. the other night i showed a friend how my calf was jumping ..that was the first time i could literally see. i have twitching in my left eye and cheek also.. again.. i don't want yall to think i am in a panic or anything.. i just read some of the stories so i figured i'd ask... it's weird feeling like this only being 27. but at the same time i know anything can happen.. aged doesn't matter.

BMORE,

Age does have a role to play with ALS. ALS is rare to begin with, only 1 or 2 cases per 100,000 people. Odds dramatically decrease the further you get away from 50. 50 is the mean (average) age of onset.

You could have any one of a variety of lesser things affecting you other than ALS. At your age, odds are it is not ALS. Many things can bring on twitches, anxiety being a big one.

Non-the-less, you should see a GP and get it checked out but again, don't get into convincing yourself its ALS. You don't even want to start thinking along those lines at this point because the doctors sure won't. Trust me!

Zaphoon

Last edited:
BMORE,

Age does have a role to play with ALS. ALS is rare to begin with, only 1 or 2 cases per 100,000 people. Odds dramatically decrease the further you get away from 50. 50 is the mean (average) age of onset.

You could have any one of a variety of lesser things affecting you other than ALS. At your age, odds are it is not ALS. Many things can bring on twitches, anxiety being a big one.

Non-the-less, you should see a GP and get it checked out but again, don't get into convincing yourself its ALS. You don't even want to start thinking along those lines at this point because the doctors sure won't. Trust me!

Zaphoon

you are absolutely right.. i am not in a panic nor do i feel i have it. i just thought i would get some opinions and see what some of you guys think that's all.. i am going to get checked out.. but you know.. you cant rule it out. that's all i am saying.. my friend is 32 years old and he has it.. not saying i do. but he just let me know that you can't take it for granted that's all. but thanks to all the replies.. and i will keep everyone in my prayers. i really hope they cure this. for everyone's sake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back