Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hi im a 29 year old male my story starts with one day in may 2018 i notice twitching in my calves then few weeks notice them in my arms , scalp, tounge, and eyelid not constant maybe a few pops

Over time my right leg felt stiff , felt like it would buckle and heavy feeling also if i would rub my toes across something it would feel jittery. Few weeks my both legs started to feel heavy also my tounge feels thick and feels like im slurring my words also started having swallowing issues not with food or drink but siliva

Went to my neuro 5 months into this sent me for an EMG on my right side. Came back clean except a 1 fasic and poly at wrist asked him to poke my tounge and that came back clean

After few weeks my left thumb started giving my problems hard to use feels tight like starined i notice a fine constant twitch in between my thumb and forefinger my thumb is getting worse does thsi sound like ALS

Pops, weak feelings, twitches, tightness seem like a lot but may all signify nothing. With a clean EMG, it is even less likely that they have anything to do with ALS.

Keep working with your doctors to feel better, including checking in with your PCP, and reconsidering sleep/stress/exercise/nutrition/hydration, but you're in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie

I have no pain numbness or tingling in my thumb its hard to use and reallly has been giving problems feels like im losing dexterity

A clean EMG means no ALS. You need to lose about 70% of innervation to a muscle to fail. What this means is you will show signs on an EMG long before you would notice symptoms. Speaking of 70%, 70% of healthy adults twitch and it is meaningless. Do you remember the letter home from school saying someone in your child's class has HEAD LICE. The first thing mom does is scratch her head. Panic sets in and everybody in the house gets checked for HEAD LICE. Nobody has them, still you scratch. Nobody on the entire block has HEAD LICE, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH.... You're probably scratching just reading about HEAD LICE. But you don't have head lice.

This is what twitching is doing to you. You twitch, go to Dr Google and you have ALS. Except you don't have the primary symptom ( unexplained muscle weakness) or any abnormal findings on your EMG. Just as a cough can be stage 4 metastatic lung cancer, we don't usually jump from a cough to end stage cancer. So relax, you don't belong here.
Vincent

But my EMG wasnt done on the side of my Thumb was done on the other side is that still a good sign the other side was clean

Yes, it is common to do the "good" side, since all the voluntary motor nerves can be affected by ALS and an EMG will show changes in most or all muscles tested whether they have been clinically weak or not.

You don't have ALS. Rejoice and move on to figuring out what will help you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back