01/2016
Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Burlington
Hello there,
I am currently a caregiver for my veteran who has been diagnosed with ALS. We have 2 children ages 9 and 8. Due to unfortunate circumstances that has happened, we had to tell the children that their dad will eventually pass away from this disease. That was about 3 weeks ago. Anyways, the kids are having a really tough time. I would like to get the kids into counseling. So my question is: Does the VA offer counseling for the kids? How would I find that out? Should I contact my PVA rep and ask? Thanks.

Yes, I'd try PVA first.

When the veteran is rated Permanently and Totally disabled, then his dependents have the option of getting health care from CHAMPVA.

Since I doubt VA has any pediatric counselors on contract, you might ask them to let you pick a non-VA counselor, and have the counselor bill VA Free Basis/Managed Care office at your local VA Medical Center.

A tiny one-person mental health business might not be sophisticated enough to know how to bill VA. This can be a problem, so inquire into that when choosing a counselor.

You can reach out to TAPS: http://www.taps.org/

They assist active duty families and veteran families with grief. They are prepared to assist with children as well as adults. They provide services at no cost.

Our local VA had no resources for children of veterans with als. I got counselling with my son privately. It was the best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back