Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the info. No vision problems and I don't feel any better after I rest. I wake up with headache's and feeling the same if not worse than when I went to bed. It doesn't matter if I sleep 6 hour's or 12 hour's still don't feel any better. my main concern is for my wife she is a small lady 5 foot 100lbs I'm a large man 6' 3" and 235lbs. That's why I posted here to try and understand ALS. Thank you all for all the advice. Your not piling on I asked the question.

Grumpybear you really do need to be at an mda clinic(muscular dystrophy association) or Tulane. That is where you will find doctors who understand more about neuromuscular diseases. Please question your doctors and make sure exactly what they have tested for, what they are now thinking, and why you are being given tjis med. If any part isnt clear please get understanding.

One other thing...if you cant get in to tulane quickly start calling pulmos and ask if they treat restrictive lung disease with a neuromuscular cause. They may be able to help you get your bipap straightened out

In fairness to Grumpy, LSU is actually an MDA center. But as we've noted before, ALSA/MDA is no guarantee of anything. I wish it were, Grumpy. One thing you could try would be to call the clinic director (if that's not your doc!) and ask for more/different help. But I would call Tulane, too.

My husband was about your size and your wife is not too far from mine. That's what power lifts are for. She may need help at some point. It's good to take stock of your friends, families, work buddies -- anyone in your corner. They all have friends/family, too, and if you're in a small town, hopefully you'll have support when the time comes.

I almost want to advise you to turn off the O2 to see if that helps, but not knowing anything about what you have and what your settings are, I can't. Maybe you could try that for a few minutes while your wife monitors you, and it would be even better if she could see what your oxygen is with a finger tip oximeter that you buy in a drug store.

But I agree, you need to see a pulmonologist before or while you see the doc(s) that hopefully can clarify what's wrong. The pulmo at LSU is supposedly good per some sources -- have you seen him?

Thank you for your reply. The Dr I'm seeing is the clinic director and the plumo I'm seeing is also on staff at the LSU ALS clinic he is also on staff at Ochsner hospital in New Orleans he's great. Tulane will be my next step

Sounds like you are making progress on the doctor front grumpybear!

Mmmm...so the LSU pulmo is the one who put you on oxygen? Or someone else? Either way, I'd tell the LSU guy of your sleeping/getting rest issues (just call his office, don't wait for an appt) and ask about why you are on it. In ALS, it usually makes breathing worse.

No ma'am plumo at LSU took me off o2 my PCP is one who wanted me o2 I'm not on o2 any more. Sorry I'm not good with all this Dr stuff have gotten to the point were I shut down when they start talking to me. I don't understand most of what they say and they all seem (Dr) to have different idea on how to treat me. Thank You for listening

Hi i would push for a full dingoious so u con get the best help the lpnger it takes the less u get int the way of meds as there is not a lot of meds to get but if i get dingoious quick the u can try other meds like striods wich build up mucale

Hi I am very sorry about your loss. However I must say there is no proof about steroids helping. There are a few anecdotes but an equal number of people who report negative side effects and even those who advocate for steroids do not generally claim to build muscle

Sorry to disagree, Stalla, but even steroids won't build muscle with ALS. When it's gone, it's gone, sad though it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back