PALS
Country
england
State
cheshire
City
warrington
:-D Hi
Does anybody have trouble that if they have to talk loud your throat feels rough and end up having a coughing fit,also sometimes when Idrink some liquid I try to swollow but end up spurting it out and coughing and chocking.

thanks colcath:-D

colcath said:
:-D Hi
Does anybody have trouble that if they have to talk loud your throat feels rough and end up having a coughing fit,also sometimes when Idrink some liquid I try to swollow but end up spurting it out and coughing and chocking.

thanks colcath:-D

Happens to me everyday sometimes a couple times. Water helps a little when words get "stuck" in my throat and water is also the worst offender with the choking/coughing episodes. Lean your head forward a bit when drinking that helps your tongue block the liquid from going the wrong way.
I can no longer project my voice the way I used too and I've also become very nasal.

Wes

Hey Colcath, hey Wes,
I always choke whenever I drink water but I have got used to it and it is not getting worse, so far it is stable for quite a year now and I also choke from my own saliva as well.

Omar

If swallowing liquids becomes increasingly difficult, you could be aspirating very small amounts into your lungs, which can cause an infection. The methods mentioned by Wes can help prevent this. Even so, you may want to consider an evaluation by a speech therapist who might include a barium swallow test to evaluate your swallowing ability and give you further suggestions for how to deal with food. Liquids that are hard to swallow can be thickened with products that give them a little bulk but do not affect the taste, such as Thick-it. I'm not sure where my parents were purchasing this. It might be available at a grocery store or pharmacy. Hope this helps.

Colcath,
Oh yes. Water is the worst drink for me, but when it goes down the wrong way, I'm always glad it was just water. When I drink I swallow twice, once in the back of my throat while holding the liquid in front, then I can swallow the liquid without choking. It seems to prime the automatic part of swallowing for me. Warm liquids like coffee or tea are best for me, but I can also drink tonic water (which is good for cramps).
Pappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back