Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Chattanooga
Hello, Im a 23 year old male. In march of 2012, i started experiencing muscle twitching all over my body, short and rapid. Everywhere but my face. I also had just started taking Adderall, but im not exatcly sure if the twitches started before or after i started taking adderall.

I just recently had them come back strong (in the last month) , almost worse. random spasms everywhere... knee, back, arms. I haven't noticed much weakness if any, not really sure what else i would look for. Also have like cramping pains in ankle and wrist at times.

On an average night ill have 40-50 twitches all over in an hour while laying down/watching movie. If i lift weight with my left hand my thumb on my left hand spasms for the next 20-30 mins.

I still exercise a moderate amount (30 minutes running or playing basketball), havent noticed any differences.

Was also curios if this could be BFS, als.... or what. I also understand that only a doctor and test can officially determine anything. I dont have insurance atm, but should get it very soon, like next month.

Thanks! as you can tell without adderall i cant post coherent thoughts, so i apologize.

Hi, What you describe could be one of many things. There are many neurological diseases. The only way to try to pinpoint it is to see a primary care physician first and describe your symptoms in detail. They may then order MRI's of the brain, brainstem, and cervical spine. Depending on what shows there (or doesn't) they will probably send you to a neurologist for an exam. There would also be a lot of lab tests of your blood. Diagnosing is a process of elimination. I am saying this based on my own experience. I wish you the best. Take Care.

Thanks for your response. Curious to know if I can rule anything out with the symptoms I've described.

Fasciculations and twitches as you describe ate extremely common. It the absence of other troubling signs and symptoms, they are not a problem. Most people experience them at various times in their life and never have an explanation. They tend to get worse after excersise as well. I have them constantly and could never count them, way too frequent..hundreds a minute after excersise. For me they started 5 years a ago and are now just normal for me. I do not have als, I must add.

Try not to focus on them, or get on the " do I have ALS treadmill, which tends to exacerbate them. If you are worried then, go and discuss them with your doctor.

Body wide twitching is a sign it not ALS. With ALS, it starts in one limb, and, slowly moves to other limbs. Also, the fact that you still exercise, and do not notice a differrnce is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back