Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
BR
State
SP
City
Gru
Do you know any good remedies to control or reduce als muscle fasciculations?
I'm asking because I've been dealing with muscle spasms/fasciculations for some years but last month I started having them in a different way. Now they are happening in my legs and they are non-stop and no more widespread like before so there is a possibility of a new diagnosis now. I am having some other things too... the remedies I tried before are not working anymore, so I would like to know if there is a way to relief this symptom.

Thanks.

nightwolf_mk,

When you have an actual diagnosis, you can talk to your doctor about medications appropriate to relieve your symptoms. That's where you should be focusing your efforts -- finding out what caused the change you are seeing -- not reading ALS boards and posting questions that aren't appropriate for us to answer.

What does your primary care physician say about these new symptoms?

since I have another things like brisk reflexes and lost of strength they think its something more serious. I just wanted to know how could I discuss with them medications that relief these things while I wait for diagnosis. They don't want to give me anything to relief these things and it's being really hard to cope with that.

Why do you have the same topic on another thread?

I just went to go og le and typed in brisk reflexes and lo and behold up popped about B F S. They have brisk reflexes too! And the 1 lady says its due to stress and anxiety. You need to read the stickies, please. And after your diagnosis, please come back. Like I said on the duplicate thread, Sorry, I can't help you.

I'm sorry. I didn't remember about the previous message since I haven't been here for some time now and I didn't search for my previous messages. I am sorry to bother you with this kind of question, but I am really desperate here. I would like to say sorry again... I see many of you fighthing like heroes against this and I wish I could be like you but unfortunatelly I am not as brave as you. All I wanted was a way of relieving this... sorry for all of this.

Click on your name and a drop down menue appears with find all posts by you.

AL.

ok, thanks, now I found my previous questions
I went to the doctor again. I still don't have a diagnosis, but it was said that clinically it's a probable upper dominant mnd (I don't know what it means). All I know is I am lost here. We don't have those centers like you and I don't know anyone with this disease. It's becoming harder to walk for long distances. My voice it's strange like some kind of hoarseness.
I am really sad because I'm only 30 years old and I'm not married and probably I will not have time to build a family.
sadness...

Closest is PLS, see below.

Types of MND

There are four main types of MND, each affecting people in different ways. There can be a great deal of overlap between all of these forms, so, while it is useful to separate the various types of the disease, in practise it is not always possible to be so specific.

We give brief definitions here, but further detail is provided under Information for download at the bottom of this page.

The following definitions talk about life expectancy, so you may not want to read any more at this stage.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
This is the most common form, with both upper and lower motor neurone involvement. This form of the disease is characterised by weakness and wasting in the limbs. Someone may notice they are tripping when walking or dropping things. Average life expectancy is from two to five years from onset of symptoms.

Progressive bulbar palsy (PBP)
Affects about a quarter of people diagnosed, and involves both the upper and lower motor neurones. Symptoms may include slurring of speech or difficulty swallowing. Life expectancy is between six months and three years from onset of symptoms.

Progressive muscular atrophy (PMA)
Affects only a small proportion of people, mainly causing damage to the lower motor neurones. Early symptoms may be noticed as weakness or clumsiness of the hand. Most people live for more than five years. An email support group exists for this rare form of MND.

Primary lateral sclerosis (PLS)
A rare form of MND involving the upper motor neurones only, causing mainly weakness in the lower limbs, although some people may experience clumsiness in the hands or speech problems. Life span could essentially be normal, although it may be life-limiting, depending on whether it remains as pure PLS or develops into ALS. An email support group exists for this rare form of MND.

I'm losing strngth in my legs. My voice is strange too. It's becoming harder to walk and to drive. Is there some average time to lose the ability to walk? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back