Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi everyone, we are 1 yr into a dx of flail arm 3 yrs of symptoms. Left arm is pretty much useless, ocassional swelling in hand. Right arm weak, cannot lift above waist level, hand can still hold a pen and utensil. Dad likes to still do what he can with weak right arm& hand and he has a bit of pain in right hand sometimes. Does overuse cause pain?

It certainly could just like it would for you or anyone else and it is obviously a lower threshold for him to overdo. If it is significant make an appointment to have it checked. Otherwise I would see if rest and either ice or heat help. Also positioning it with support

Hm, one thing I could think of is that the arm self has quite a bit of weight and all that is no longer fully supported by the arm muscles.
My PALS had some pain in his shoulder when the muscles there went. The physio or ergo therapist told us to always support the arm so its weight is not pulling on the shoulder and that really helped. My PALS then always had a cushion on his lap to prop the arm up.

Maybe it could help if your father takes some of the strain off the arm when he doesn't use it.

Last edited:
He can use an Ergorest arm support for desk work and as others have said, take care not to put stress on the shoulder joint -- bend the arm when sitting, and consider something like a GivMohr sling esp. when walking. Once one or both shoulders are subluxated in flail arm, there is no going back. For hand swelling, elevating the hand without stressing the shoulder, using foam or a pillow, and gentle massage between the fingers toward the center of the body is good.

Thanks everyone for imput. Dad likes to move about alot since legs are good. I do not know if shoulders are subluxated but he is all bone in that area..both sides. Its odd because the head neurologist at als clinic at sunnybrook in toronto said no sling, to give the arm as much mobility. Im sure a physio therapist would recommend though. Ive mentioned proping arm up when sitting.

To clarify, I did not mean a full-time sling, but some way (that could be a sling or just positioning) to avoid the shoulder being pulled for long periods like walking, which he should be able to feel if that is the case.

Reactions: Mon
Hi There .... your Dad and I may be kindred spirits. I'm almost a year into my diagnosis with symptoms starting almost 3 years ago ... and so far it's isolated to B.A.D. I get pain in my shoulders and neck during long walks but can find a great deal of relief by supporting my arms by putting my hands in my coat pockets or something similar.

I have to walk as much as possible but do realize it can cause some pain. Typically, a day off solves that though. Best of luck...

Reactions: Mon
Thanks Hal for your reply. Ive sent you a message directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back