Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
New York
City
Bohemia
Hi everyone I have been reading this forum for a month and I have a question regarding muscle weakness. If ALS is a disease of progressive muscle weakness, why does it happen without notice or feeling prior to total loss of function. Everyone says it is about failing not feeling but can't u feel fatigue and gradual weakness before the bottom drops out and all of a sudden I can't use my arm? Is it possible that someone strong and athletic might take longer for the muscles to die. I know there is no diagnosis until there is clinical weakness but it seems logical like there is some sort of progression. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi George, I would suggest you read the post at the top of this section https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html It will answer you, and also you will notice people ask this a lot and it gets answered often. Please search and I'm sure you will find the answers.

Many of our members use their eyes to type while on a breathing machine, and our carers are run ragged looking after them. This will help not have to answer the same thing constantly when they have such limited resources :)

It sounds like you have no clinical weakness. If so, please go make the most of every moment you have, you will never get today back again.

You have said it, and Tillie has echoed it -- there is no diagnosis possible unless you lose the ability to move something. Unless that is the case, you have the awesome privilege of living your life without the fear of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you guys so much for the response. I am sure you deal with this type of stuff often and I bet it's frustrating. The reason I ask is 3 months ago I could run 5 miles no prob. Today I don't think I could run around the block. My legs are shot. They are weak. Calf twitching is constant . I have had every blood test on the planet, MRIs x-ray and so on. Everything is normal. Saw neurologist and did NCV again normal. EMG in 2 weeks. There is no reason why my legs feel like this. I know this Is a diagnosis of exclusion. I am running out of options. I fear the inevitable is coming. Thanks for your input

To say ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion is an over simplification and half truth. There are specific criteria that must be met on clinical exam and EMG. Only then does the process of diagnosis by exclusion begin to rule out mimics with whatever tests are needed.

Please re-read and absorb what the others have said here. Your fear for ALS is unfounded since you've described no clinical weakness and no other symptoms that make up what the constellation of ALS is.

Good luck to you on your EMG. I'm quite confident it will not point to a rare, terminal illness.

Take good care.

I do appreciate anyone who responds. I have been in here many times trying to prove I am crazy and there is no way I have ALS. I am on here trying to prove I dont have it. Unfortunately symptoms are not universal and I have had read about a few cases where someone passed the clinic weakness tests but ended up being diagnosed later down the road. I try to stay positive and upbeat but it's hard to ignore the difficulty walking and the constant twitching at rest. Thank you for taking the time to respond . My heart goes out to all of u.

Abnormal EMG

Hi. 2 weeks ago I had abnormal EMG. Only did EMG in legs. Neuro ordered Lumbar mri . Not much there. NCV is normal. Legs are very tired/weak. Constant muscle twitching. Full blood panel is normal and no injuries. Physical exam shows no clinical weakness but obviously emg shows otherwise. I have a horrible feeling I know where this is heading.

Are there any other possibilities? All signs are leading to ALS. 39 years old and losing hope.

George, it would be very helpful if you could post your EMG results. Presumably you saw a neurologist. What did he or she tell you? What did your exam show?

EMG can be abnormal in a variety of conditions. To name a few, neuropathy, pinched nerves, drug reactions, toxic or metabolic conditions, inflammatory myopathies (primary muscle conditions), and some infections including polio. There is a specific pattern of denervation and reinnervation in ALS that an examiner would be looking for.

You haven’t really described ALS, but it would be helpful if you could post your EMG results and answer my other questions.

Yes, please do post the summary/conclusion part of your EMG to ensure feedback is thorough. There so many reasons why an EMG is abnormal and very, very, very rarely is it ALS. The doctors would have brought up if they were concerned and they apparently did not. This is a very good thing. Again,please post EMG results.

Thank you guys so much for your quick response. I have an appointment next week with neurologist and will ask for a report. I pray u guys are correct.

George I suggest you wait now to just post your EMG results as you don't have any indications of ALS. We can answer to that then.

Whatever else you read, the post I directed you to in the beginning is our official stance, please don't try and give us cases that dispute it to argue your fears.

All the best, live this week to the fullest!

I am not trying to prove my fears. I am trying to disprove them. I am constantly trying to convince myself I don't have ALS but my symptoms of Leg weakness and constant twitching eventually bring me right back. I know you guys get tired of trying to convince people they don't have ALS. I am sure 99% of the time you guys are correct. I hope I am not the 1%. Thanks again

In post 4 you stated emg in 2 weeks. Then the next day you stated in post 8 two weeks ago You had an abnormal emg. Which is it?

You would have been much better to state clearly at the beginning what tests you had and what results. You can request your emg results if you have had one in advance of your appointment. Often the medical records turn around time is short if you opt for secure email or pick them up in person

i had a partial emg 2 weeks ago. He only did my legs. it showed an issue which prompted him to order an mri of my lumbar spine which was normal. I am doing a full EMG in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back