Status
Not open for further replies.

ctaloi

Hello,

My Father has been having a problem with his tongue over the last few months; following are the details:

When he forces the tongue out of his mount it bends to the right side, almost as if there is a string tied to the front and the back that is preventing him from fully "sticking his tongue out". He has had numerous tests including an MRI and a EMR (?) - And the initial diagnoses is ASL. This has been a bit of a shock over the last few days to say the least. We plan to travel to the best center dedicated to ASL for an evaluation, but one issue is killing me.... Why is this the only symptom?

From all of the research I have done ASL seems to affect the throat, limbs, breathing etc... My Dad doesn't have any of those symptoms. I am struggling to locate information regarding the symptoms he is having "crooked tongue". Most of the ASL tongue related problems are with twitching and excessive salivating, which he does not have.

He has developed a slight lisp over the last few months, and it appears to be caused by the tongue not moving where it should. There is no visible damage to his tongue....

59 Yr old - Very healthy/Active Man.

If anyone has any advise before we begin to travel along this path, please assist.

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately you will have to travel the path and begin the journey, none of us here are Drs so we can not diagnose or even start to speculate what is going on with your dad. I do think everyone symptoms did start off a little bit different though and he may not have limb onset ALS but Bulbar and this is what you are going to seek and find. Good luck and keep in touch.
Kim ALS About Loving Someone

Hi:
There is a "Manual for Living with ALS" available on the ALS Society of Canada website (upper left hand corner of this page). If you open it up there is an overview of symptoms available in it that may help you.
Kim's right, we aren't physicians here... as far as I know, and everyones symptoms are different.
Good luck

T.

Thank you for the kind words. I do appreciate the help and support. We are just going to take this as it comes, and do the best we can. It's just hard to believe this is happening.

... what part of the world are you from? It will help later if you need it.
CHeers
T.

... oh, many of us are just across the lake from you. Try checking out the manual... (it's written in Canadian English) you might find some inconsistencies. Who knows, this might be something else.

CHeers
T.

If you have any questions, I found this site very useful. It is pretty technical in places but does describe most MND's and symptoms. Takes a bit of looking but I found it useful when they were diagnosing me.
http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back