Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
I wanted to pose question for both CALS and PALS, so I put it here under General.

I understand that usually the bowel movement issue in PALS is constipation so sometimes stool softeners are used.
However, we have the opposite problem. My PALS cannot make it to the bathroom in time and is unable to "hold" the BM.
Have any of you experienced this problem? If so, what do we do?
I don't believe it is diet, as that hasn't really changed and he tries to eat quite a bit of "binding" type foods.

Just curious if other PALS had this issue as the only thing I have heard about is the opposite.

Thanks much!
B

Hi Blessed,
Is your PALS getting enough fiber? Strange as it may seem, fiber is needed to absorb liquid and can help with both constipation and loose stools. So if your PAL is getting lots of liquid and not enough fiber from fruits, veggies, whole wheat, bran etc. that can lead to problems with loose stools. There are lots of fiber products to mix into liquids these days. But if your PAL gets lots of fiber in the diet, it may just come down to decreased sphincter control of the rectal muscles which can happen with ALS. You may have to suggest disposable underwear--as that is better for self esteem than having accidents happen when the person can't hold it to make it to the bathroom. But the disposable underwear issue needs to be broached with sensitivity as that whole concept can be very hard to accept.
Laurel

I can be pretty loosey goosey as I call it. I blame it on the Rilutek. I eat bananas and cheese to try and slow things down. Read once where Metamucil which is a stool softener can help as it takes the water out of the stool and binds it up. Never tried it myself but might be worth a try. I find Immodium stops me up too much but maybe trying half a tablet might work. Hope this helps.

AL.

I have this issue at times when I am really weak- such as if I over-do too much or am ill with something. Everybody says this does not happen with ALS but that is not true. I wear disposables during these times, and stick near my bathroom. Of course, I'm not a PALS so my advice may not work for him. Still and all, it may help to get enough rest and plenty of oxygen via his bi-pap.

Just a thought...Cindy

PS: they say applesauce works, due to the pectin in it. Plus it is easy to swallow.

Last edited:
Hi B
I would look into seeing a Gastro. This can be totally unrelated to ALS.
Talk to her GP
Pat1

I am sorry to say that with my father, there were many times I'd find him sitting in diarrhea. He could not help it, and I just dealt with it. I'm sure it was terrible for him. Whoever thinks they're going to end in that condition? I never knew what it was that caused this, just the inactivity of his body, I guess. We tried medicines, etc, but I just accepted that this was going to happen. It wasn't pleasant, but it is what it is!

For some reason, my dad alternated between constipation and diarrhea. I learned to appreciate the times that things were not messy, and just took care of the diarrhea when it happened. I didn't enjoy it, but he didn't either, and I just felt so sorry for him.

Believe it or not, he just always stayed covered up in his recliner, and stayed naked from the waist down. Noone would ever have known, and it was sooooo much easier for me. Removing a messy Depends was so difficult. At least with him bare, I could use wipes like crazy to clean him up.

I don't know if that was helpful to you, but that was just my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back