04/2013
Country
US
State
CA
City
Suburban
Looking for advice--

Just yesterday, PALS's shortness of breath increased dramatically. Now needs a breath for almost each word he tries to speak.
- His O2 is still in 90s.
- He is on Plavix (blood thinner).
- His FVC was 60% 4 weeks ago.
- Five days ago the RT was here and said his lungs sounded remarkably clear.
- He is on Trilogy all night and several hours on and off during the day.

So any idea what could be causing such sudden change? Would this need an urgent doctor contact? ER? (Email or calls to doctor do not usually get a response for many days, if at all.)

If it is that dramatic yes. ER. Being on plavix makes a clot less likely but not impossible. Pneumonia? Collapsed lung? Hopefully none of these but in your shoes I would go. Let us know when you can. Prayers

Thanks, Nikki, for quick reply. I'll start trying to talk him into it now! Wish me luck!

Let us know how you go - hugs

Thank you Nikki & Tillie. Nikki, you called it--atelactasis of right lung. Home now. Following up with PCP tomorrow. Weird (but good) how O2 has remained good. Grateful for that.

Cindy I'm so glad you were straight on to it!
All the best for the appointment tomorrow.
Please let us know how it goes?
God bless, Janelle x

Cindy I'm so glad you got straight on it.

Sometimes as CALS we need to watch with an eagle eye.

Lung issues with PALS can be very sneaky and then turn so serious in a blink.

I remember the day one of our care staff said to me - Chris's colour does not look right. He stated firmly he was fine. Next day he was in hospital.

I am thinking of you both.
What a wonderful caregiver he has in you.
God Bless.

Laura

Thank you Janelle & Laura. Tillie, experiences like yours and others shared here keep me on my toes. I'm so afraid of pneumonia and a bad turn for the worse. I probably tend to overreact. The doc did send us home with antibiotics because PALS also has swelling in left side of face and neck that started right about the time we left for the ER and we don't know what's causing it, and doc said the atelactasis puts him at a higher risk for pneumonia. But he won't start them unless a fever kicks in or coughing/others signs.

The face swelling concerns me. Perhaps he should be on antibiotic now?

Sherry

Keep us posted Cindy, I have a feeling that antibiotic is needed. xx

Not all the reasons that the swelling and lung collapse could be related call for antibiotics -- for example, if he has been lying a lot in one position.

And, of course, they don't actually have to be related.

Since abx have their own down sides, I wouldn't use them unless signs of pneumonia develop. But I would follow all the recommendations for trying to keep him on the healthy lung's side, etc. for reinflating the collapsed part.

My guy had a follow up with his PCP today. The swelling is way down and his breathing is better. He never did get a fever or increased coughing, so we never did start the antibiotic. Am relieved he's on the mend without them since, as you point out, Laurie, they usually bring problems of their own. Doc did give him a nebulizer but thinks the atelectasis may have been caused by a mucous plug.

He actually felt so good tonight he wanted to cook dinner! Needed help with cutting, stirring and lifting/draining, but under his direction, some delicious plates of stroganoff left our kitchen tonight! He is amazing! :)

that's such great news!

I can smell that great strog :)

He WANTED to cook tea...Cindy what exactly did they DO to him in there?

Joking!

I'm so thrilled he is well and truly recovering! You must be so relieved.

Thank you for the update, sometimes I don't know why I have a knot in my stomach until I read updates on here...

God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back