Diagnosis
7/2019
Country
SG
State
NA
City
Singapore
I have a riluzole prescription from Singapore doctor, which is not being accepted in USA. While riluzole is cheaper in USA, its around $200 in independent pharmacies even at costco without insurance its at $180 for 60 tabs while same in Singapore its at $1000 sgd.

Wondering if anyone knows any pharmacy which can accept singapore doctor prescription or provide medicine without prescription?

Thanks.

You might have better luck using Canadian pharmacies. That’s what many in the US do when we can’t afford meds. You can do a search for online Canadian pharmacies. However, you would still need a prescription. I don’t know about accepting a prescription from Singapore, but you can check the various websites.

You might have better luck using Canadian pharmacies. That’s what many in the US do when we can’t afford meds. You can do a search for online Canadian pharmacies. However, you would still need a prescription. I don’t know about accepting a prescription from Singapore, but you can check the various websites.

Thanks Karen. I already checked couple of online Canadian and US pharmacies but I was not sure if they are scam or real ones. But anyway at least the pharmacies I checked they were looking for prescription.

First, the retail cost you quoted seems high -- with a GoodRx card, it's showing <$60 for 60 tabs at Costco, <$90 at other pharmacies. But as you say it's academic if they won't accept a foreign rx.

This list shows legit online pharmacies from the US perspective, though I realize this does not solve your problem. Still, you might contact one or more for advice.

First, the retail cost you quoted seems high -- with a GoodRx card, it's showing <$60 for 60 tabs at Costco, <$90 at other pharmacies. But as you say it's academic if they won't accept a foreign rx.

This list shows legit online pharmacies from the US perspective, though I realize this does not solve your problem. Still, you might contact one or more for advice.

That's a problem. I am obviously willing to buy without Insurance but US RX is mandatory. Costco pharmacist suggest even if a GP can write a prescription we are willing to sale you. But I am highly in doubt a GP will write such prescription.

Oh, yes, any licensed prescribing doc is fine when you pay cash. But no, they don't typically write for patients they haven't seen.

No Asian pharmacies that ship to Singapore, or Costco-type options in-country?

Does the patient have internet access at all? The only possible thing I can think of to explore would be telemedicine. I think there may be prohibitions for treating someone in a different country but you could ask. It is possible to have televisit with someone who has never seen you in person and obtain prescriptions if the doctor feels it is appropriate

Wishing you that all of this works out .... and should nothing work out, don't give up hope. There might be benefits to not taking it. To my knowledge - which is definitely limited - it's not even clear that it is so very effective. It's nearly the only drug available so nearly everybody is on it. My partner was never sure that Riluzole helped him. He wondered if it had affected his taste. The change in taste could have had other reasons but he really wondered about it. Taste was important to him as it meant quality of life. Just about everything started to taste strange. He stopped when it was too difficult to swallow. He did not want to prolong the most difficult stage of ALS.
Is it just as expensive in Malaysia? Is it legal to get it in Malaysia and transport it to Singapore? You probably explored that option already....

A group of people living in the US that I knew a few years ago needed prescriptions for a drug not yet approved in the US to treat their dogs for Chagas disease.

One of our members was traveling to Brazil where it was available. She got the prescriptions from a Veterinarian at a big state university doing research on the disease and filled it while on her trip then brought them back for each of us.

Not sure but I assume it would be easier if you are face to face with the pharmacist and have a prescription written in English. or can your doctor put you in touch with an American neurologist to visit while in the states who can write the prescription for you to fill while here?

It’s just amazing to me to hear of a drug that is cheaper here than in another country. We have some of the highest priced drugs in the world I thought. People go to Canada from here to get cheaper insulin.

I’ve heard from a pharmacist that the only manufacturer for Riluzol is operating in India. Have you tried getting it there?

You can’t get Riluzol from a legally operated pharmacy in the US without a prescription.

Good luck!

Wishing you that all of this works out .... and should nothing work out, don't give up hope. There might be benefits to not taking it. To my knowledge - which is definitely limited - it's not even clear that it is so very effective. It's nearly the only drug available so nearly everybody is on it. My partner was never sure that Riluzole helped him. He wondered if it had affected his taste. The change in taste could have had other reasons but he really wondered about it. Taste was important to him as it meant quality of life. Just about everything started to taste strange. He stopped when it was too difficult to swallow. He did not want to prolong the most difficult stage of ALS.
Is it just as expensive in Malaysia? Is it legal to get it in Malaysia and transport it to Singapore? You probably explored that option already....
I agree with you. Even doctor told me after sometime, when he is at last stage, we will stop with this medicine. Besides as per Wiki, it just prolong 3 months of life thats it.
From Malaysia you bring in one or two packs if you travel by bus, usually they dont check as 1000’s peoples travel Malay to Singapore everyday coz of work. But the travel cost tim involve here you are saving SGD 300.

A group of people living in the US that I knew a few years ago needed prescriptions for a drug not yet approved in the US to treat their dogs for Chagas disease.

One of our members was traveling to Brazil where it was available. She got the prescriptions from a Veterinarian at a big state university doing research on the disease and filled it while on her trip then brought them back for each of us.

Not sure but I assume it would be easier if you are face to face with the pharmacist and have a prescription written in English. or can your doctor put you in touch with an American neurologist to visit while in the states who can write the prescription for you to fill while here?

It’s just amazing to me to hear of a drug that is cheaper here than in another country. We have some of the highest priced drugs in the world I thought. People go to Canada from here to get cheaper insulin.

I’ve heard from a pharmacist that the only manufacturer for Riluzol is operating in India. Have you tried getting it there?

You can’t get Riluzol from a legally operated pharmacy in the US without a prescription.

Good luck!
I was confident in US it will be expensive. But one day I just made a call and surprised the cost. Its less cheaper than Singapore. I am exploring India option. I came to know Sun Pharma in India was authorized back in 2013 to produce generic.
Lets see so far I came to know in India it is USD 72. But i still need to find if its generic or brand. Lets see.

I have had various generics of riluzole ( whatever my insurance pharmacy sends). I am pretty sure sun was one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back