Hasle

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Nor
State
Buskrud
City
Reading this forum I don't feel right listing up "my story" instead I have a question which I have tried the answer myself, while having little success I hope someone can help me along.

If you get ALS symptoms like weakness, twitching, cramps in a shoulder and foot. Will it always be progressive development for affected bodyparts for PALS? Meaning one day shoulder and foot wont suddenly be back to normal but now the legs are the problem? Affected nerves/bodyparts stay affected and get worse?

If this is already answered again sorry... would mean alot for me with a confirmation.

Last edited:
Yes. You are correct. Once affected by ALS that area will not improve. And it does not jump around. Limb onset, which you are asking about, will begin in one area and spread. Classically the initial spread from limb to limb will be either to the same level other side ( right leg to left leg) or limbs on the same side ( right leg to right arm) though eventually everywhere will be affected

Last edited:
The thing with ALS is that the disease process is the nerves that control a muscle die, one motor unit at a time. The body tries to compensate by having adjacent motor units take over control of the dead one. Eventually your body can't keep up with the loss of motor units. When the motor unit looses reach about 70%, the muscle begins to fail. This is not something you can test yourself. It is kind of like tickling your self. It just doesn't work. This is also why you will show changes on the EMG before you have symptoms in areas that aren't part of what you are seeing the doctor about.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back