Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Buckeye
Does anyone know of a good sandal that a AFO can be worn with? I know it's winter, but I'm hoping to be ready for when summer gets here. We live in Arizona and as I found out last summer, gym shoes can be awfully hot in our summers here and with the AFO makes it even more uncomfortable. :?

Supposedly AFOs are only to be worn only with laced shoes as the shoe itself contributes to the support...

... to answer your question: no.

Hi Lilacs,

I am supposed to pick up my first AFO next week. I live in Texas, so I have been obsessively googling to see if there are any sandals that will work with AFOs because I'm dreading the summer, too. I believe that Greg is correct, that they typically need a lace up shoe to hold everything together. However, I've read that many people, both kids and adults, wear them with those Croc sandals. Your mileage may vary. But might be something to check out.

Wonder if Keens would work, I get fitted for my first AFO next week. Even in Maine it gets warm in the summer.

Mike

My AFO works fine with my velcro tennis shoes.

Nothing about the AFO is cute, but it helps us be safer while walking. If going to dressier events (which I prefered to avoid even before) I wear black slacks with AFO in black tennis shoes. Trendsetter!

Yes you can. I used to sell shoes a long time ago and sold to many orthopedic type stores. I was a buyer as well.

There is a brand called Finn Comfort (pretty expensive) that has a removable insole which would allow more room for the AFO. You would need one with a back strap. You may need to buy different sized ones though. Nordstrom's will sell split pairs if the size difference is a size or more (they did when I was a buyer for them in the 1990's). I did it recently with some New Balance shoes. I had to buy the 2 pairs shipped to me since I am a size 14 & 15 on the AFO side. When I got them I simply brought the mismatched pair to them and they did a return. I do not know if Nordstrom's carries Finn Comfort, but you may want to go to the Scottsdale store.

You may want to contact a comfort shoe store. They will carry more expensive shoes and sandals but they may be able to help you.

Good luck,
Doug

Thank you all very much. :)

I've had my brace for other a year now and have been trying to find a more comfortable shoe for the summer time...with no success. I do have a pair of kind of dressy black gym shoes that I wear with pants for the dressier days, but the sandals would mainly be for around the house and then for when I'm not able to walk anymore (I'm dreading that day....can't believe it might happen :( ).

Suzannah, and Mike; after awhile you will like the AFO. It really does make walking easier, but it can get a little uncomfortable after awhile...just a little though.

The lady that gets my medical equipment had told me about gym shoes that aren't Velcro and don't require lacing up. Somehow they tighten up themselves. She said that she seen them in an advertisement...I'm searching for those too...lol.

krnNdug, my feet are two different sizes too, by a 1/2 inch, always has been. I've done what you have done, order two different sizes, so that each of my feet would have the right size shoes on. I wonder how people are like us are in this world...lol. My right foot is the smallest, but is also the one being effected by the ALS (thankfully I'm left handed) so now the larger shoe fits perfectly with the AFO. Hopefully the ALS won't spread to the left.

Now to go look up all the suggestions you all gave. :)

There are definitely lace-up sandals with structured heels that may work w/ your AFO. Check out the Propet Ghillie walking shoe.

Thanks lgelb, those do look like they could work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back