Question? Heavy Metal Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lorie,

I'm still undiagnosed, but the neurologist is still leaning toward ALS.

My urine test in January showed no measurable mercury or lead levels but arsenic was present at 91.7 mcg/g. Normal is < 50.

I've asked 3 doctors about this and none of them think this is significant enough to pursue or even retest. Seems odd to me.

-Tom

Are you heavily insured? Sounds like a plot for Law and Order.
AL.

I came up as well with asenic in my urine But they said it was from my well water and never brought it up either .My was on the high side but in range. Yours is way too high I would get intouch with the doc and have it redone

Pat 1

Arsenic and heavy metals

My Arsenic level (in 24h urine test) came back at 219, but my neuro wasn't really concern with it.
Since my onset of R arm atrophy and weakness in March -April of 2009 I also developed severe fascics in all limbs and on my face and was hoping that it could be related to elevated Arsenic level, but as I said my Neuro didn't feel that the Arsenic is a cause.
Cookie

Cookie,

Do you have well water?

Hi Crystal.
We have regular city provided water. In the last year we've been bying Deer Park bottled water. I wonder if this bottled water really comes from springs, or it gets filled with tap water at some big plant? doest ever gets tested?
I was told by my Neuro that only Arsenic levels close to 1000mg are considered toxic.
Cookie

I'm still being diagnosed, with my next appt being Aug 27th. One of the 11 vials of blood they pulled out of me May 28th was for a lead level test. Supposedly it was sent to Mayo to be run and was clotted when they got it. They are so interested in it, that they are sending me an order to have it pulled again at my local lab and sent in before my next appt. I don't know how old all of you are, but I'm 54, and lived at least half of my life around leaded gasoline fumes. But I'm also an electronics hobbyist, and solder with lead based solder all the time. So, I bet I've got a lead level. But then I've been exposed to lots of solvents, etc over my life, and several herbicides/pesticides. I've been up to my armpits in pure PCB oil in transformers before the ban went into effect.

I've wondered if some of the bad things I've been in might have been or partly been responsible.

Perry

Hi Perry. If there was ever a case for toxic exposure causing problems you'd be it. They haven't proved a relation to ALS and toxic exposure yet but I think they will someday. In the mean time I hope you have something treatable.

AL.

God, I hope so too, but I talked to my neuro on the phone a couple of days ago, and he still thinks it's ALS. I have an appt Aug 27th and they're going to run the rest of the tests to rule out anything else. I'm getting weaker in my legs by the day. Do you know of anything I can take/do to extend my stamina?

Perry

Hi Perry. Go to main page at bottom and click on blogs. At the bottom is Mike 27's blog. He has a list of anti oxidents he's been taking since 1993. Can't say if they help or not but I take Vit E, Vit C, CoEnzyme Q10 and used to take Creatine Monohydrate. Use the search here to find info as well.

AL.

I'm still being diagnosed, with my next appt being Aug 27th. One of the 11 vials of blood they pulled out of me May 28th was for a lead level test. Supposedly it was sent to Mayo to be run and was clotted when they got it. They are so interested in it, that they are sending me an order to have it pulled again at my local lab and sent in before my next appt. I don't know how old all of you are, but I'm 54, and lived at least half of my life around leaded gasoline fumes. But I'm also an electronics hobbyist, and solder with lead based solder all the time. So, I bet I've got a lead level. But then I've been exposed to lots of solvents, etc over my life, and several herbicides/pesticides. I've been up to my armpits in pure PCB oil in transformers before the ban went into effect.

I've wondered if some of the bad things I've been in might have been or partly been responsible.

Perry

Perry ,
HOLY CRAP !

We had a transformer leaking outside our house since last year. We didnt know until recently, thinking the WEED MAN fooked up my hedge and lawn where it was leaking. It was also hitting my neighbors driveways which was getting all spotted and he noticed the drip. We called HYDRO (electric people in Canada) and they didnt waste any time replacing the transformer , and digging up the soil , placing everything in sealable drums. When I asked whats in those transformers , the guy said mineral oil. Lying bastid. I have pictures . I have asked for a copy of the lab report.

Do you have any info that is worth using to go after the bastids. It makes you wonder if there is a connection.

Glen

back on track for the topic ....

Lorie , I was tested for all kinds of heavy metals. Lots of blood tests during the diagnosed phase.

If you have not already , go for it , even to just rule it out.

Glen

Back in the good old days (mid 90's) when I was on the Haz Mat squad they told us that most ? of the old PCB transformers had been replaced. This was in Mississauga. Out your way Glen it could be different but as you say, dirt picked up and put in drums is mighty suspicious to me.

AL.

Probably not enough information on direct problems to be able to go after them. As long as you didn't ingest the material, you are probably all right. The times I worked in it, got it soaked into my arms pretty well, and gave me a permanent case of chloracne. You should see my arms, pretty evident. As far as the link between PCBs and cancer, despite the testing, still not well established.

Yep, suspicious to me as well. But PCB contaminated mineral oil is somewhat common, as the transformer manufacturers that made PCB filled transformers back in the 1950s and 1960s used the same plumbing to pump Askeral(trade name for PCB fluid) and straight mineral oil. So, mineral oil filled transformers that were filled right after they filled a PCB transformer, got a good dose of PCB mixed in the mineral oil. EPA allows those contaminated transformers to remain in service until end-of-life, unless they are near food handling/processing equipment. But, by this time, most of the contaminated mineral oil transformers are gone, at least in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back