Diagnosis
1/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Lima
Would someone explain when you talk about bulbar. I'm sorry if it's a dumb question!

this has to do with the swallowing/tongue, etc...the muscles become weak and can eventually no longer function
cj

No such thing as a dumb question here. If you go back one page and look at the forum topics and click on the PBP or any section with highlighted letters that will take you to the definition page. There are a lot of terms there defined that will help you understand some of what you read here. If a definition's not there just ask away. Hope his helps.
AL.

Mornin' Alice,

There are two forms of onset for ALS, limb and bulbar. ALS can also be divided into familial (hereditary) or the more common sporadic. (There's also the Guam form which is another topic)

Bulbar-onset ALS affects the speech, tongue and swalowing first where limb-onset affects the arms and legs first.

can either one be familial? I haven't come across this yet (or maybe I have but it didn't sink in :) ) My mil had bulbar and my uncle has limb
Jodie

Hi Jodie. From what I understand, either bulbar onset or limb onset can be familial but only 20 or 25 per cent of cases combined are usually familial. Did anyone else in your uncle's family or your mil's family have ALS?
AL.

Hi Al,
so far non on either side has had any other cases...my uncle is my mothers brother so on my side and then my mother in law...and the odd thing was they were both diagnosed the same month..my uncle in his 60's and my mother in law was in her 70's (but a very, very young 70!)
by the way i was so busy about seeing you in the newsletter that when i showed my husband it was then that i noticed your wonderful wife Lee! I can't wait to do the walk with my kids and show him all the people like granny who can use some help.
Jodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back