Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hello all,

First of all wanted to say that my heart goes out to everyone who is dealing with this, and to those who take precious time out of their day to help others here.

I'm a 31 year old male. I've been dealing with serious health worries for the past 3 months, and just to go through everything quickly and keep it short - It started with anxiety and frequent panic attacks, then weeks of dizziness. Blood work came back fine, did a brain MRI which showed small and old scar tissue (possibly from a trauma), that was there for a long time and probably not related to my current symptoms (as stated my multiple doctors). As a month or so went by (and my anxiety increasing), new symptoms were introduced - first it was pins and needles all over my body (now gone), burning / prickling feeling in my feet (now gone), involuntary movements (jerks, now almost gone), but then something else started which is relevant to here - muscle twitching everywhere in my body (when at rest), and the sense of weakness, especially in my right arm and leg.

Now, I understand that weakness in ALS refers to weakness where you cannot perform a task no matter how hard you try, but is that how it always starts? do you just wake up one day and not able to perform a task or does it start with mild weakness that gradually worsens? I can still perform daily tasks fine, and I believe that this "weakness" is coming from my right shoulder which has a dull ache with certain movement, and my right hip also feels the same way, but because the feeling is very similar in both my right arm and right leg, it makes me worry, and it has been like that for weeks now. Some days I feel it more than others, and I've had very few instances where my left hand felt like that too, but it is usually the right one.

In the past couple of days, walking aggravates the issue with my leg, and I feel tightness in my calves and hamstrings (with twitching and near cramping when at rest), and just weird sensations in the leg. I don't know if it is the definition of weakness or not, but it definitely feels weak. I can still walk okay, but it isn't getting any better. My EMG is scheduled only for over a month from now.

Any feedback here would be helpful. Thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be screened for RLS/PLMD, possibly a sleep study if your Epworth score suggests one. (Low sats in sleep can trigger much of what you describe.)

And I would look at sleep position, given you describe R side issues -- a pillow, mattress and/or bed setup that is suboptimal can create pressure points.

ALS, I'm not seeing anything here about. A dull ache and twitchy feelings are not some kind of weakness pre-stage.

Best,
Laurie

Hi there-

Please read here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html to reassure yourself about your sensations, anxiety, etc.

This forum is for folks diagnosed with ALS, which you do not appear to have based on your reported feelings and symptoms. Please continue working with your doctors, but you can leave this forum behind assured you do not belong here.

Take care

Gilgor, your thread is very familiar to us... we've read countless numbers like yours.
(Coincidentally just recently written of).

As you wrote...

"It started with anxiety and frequent panic attacks..."

Your symptoms are under the umbrella of anxiety disorder. You wrote you have an
EMG scheduled so it is apparent you have seen a Neurologist... ?

As replied above by very knowledgeable members... you can leave ALS behind.

I've seen a neurologist who wrote everything down and sent me for an EMG, and that was it. I understand that my symptoms could be interpreted as anxiety, but the issues with my leg and arm had just been consistent for a while, and its becoming difficult to walk without feeling the symptoms, same goes for the arm. I guess I'll wait for the EMG.

Either way, I thank you all for the help and I'm sorry if this was a repetitive / redundant thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back