00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
City
Asheville
Hi everyone,

I am 63 years old, and started having a few twitches on my left tricep after a 3 mile run. My left shoulder blade muscle area and tricep were numb and felt weak, and had mild pain in my left finger joints as well. I only had 2-4 twitches per day and only at rest. The twitching reduced on the second day but still had the numbness and felt weak at my left tricep. I tried another run and symptoms came back. I also had a few twitches in my right tricep, right and left shoulder blade areas.

I met with a neurology/sport medicine physician assistant and she diagnosed my condition as cervical pinched nerve without any evidence of neurologic deficit. X- ray showed spondylosis with loss of disc height is present at C3-C7, anterior spur formation is noted. She prescribed prednisone to alleviate any inflammation. I have been on it for two days and it has worsened my sleep and twitching. I plan to do physical therapy and see if it helps my condition.

My question is: is ALS a possible prognosis per my symptoms? I have not seen any literature on cervical pinched nerves and twitching! What is your recommendation?

Thank you

It doesn't sound anything like ALS. Many drugs can cause twitching and steroids definitely can interrupt sleep. I would go ahead with the plan on PT and see if it helps.

Oh truly, that sounds nothing like any ALS onset we have heard of.
It seems like if you got a headache and your doctor examined you and said sounds like a pinched nerve, it would be very strange if only days later you started asking if you maybe have a terminal brain tumour instead.

Work with your doctors and PT and be sure to ask them these questions specifically. They are examining you and can answer in context of your presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back