Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Hello: Thank you for allowing me this one post. I have had pain in my left thumb for a year or so. It hurts and hurts to the touch. Recently, I have experienced weakness in this thumb and the forefinger. I cannot hold my two adjacent fingers together, parallel, and when I make the "OK" sign with thumb and fingers, all the fingers are weaker than the right hand. It is more difficult to tie my shoes and strings with this thumb as well. My overall handshake seems normal. I can do a pushup on my fingers. I don't know what else to add, other than, as is everyone else on this thread, I'm scared.

Oh, I had a neurologist exam four months ago, tested me for strength, but the weakness is new.

Thank you

Many people have a weak and/or painful thumb. We often load pressure and repetitive motion on our thumbs and/or fingers that they are not built for. But I see no reason to worry about ALS.

I would see an orthopedist. S/he may recommend hand therapy.

Best,
Laurie

I was not worried about my thumb pain, but the weakness just started, and more concerning, my index finger is now extremely weak, side to side.

That is not how ALS presents. Again, repetitive motion injuries, if not treated or prevented, can ultimately start affecting more fingers. But whether the reason for your issues is that or something else, an orthopedic surgeon is trained to figure out what is wrong and how to treat it. We can't do that from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back