Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Jacksonville
I'm new here, and I was hoping to get some input on symptoms I've been having.

Starting 2 months ago May 2018 I started getting tingling in my right hand. That was quickly followed by twitching in that hand, the tingling spread to both hands and both feet, then the tingling went away after about 2-3 weeks. The twitching, however, did not, and started to spread. It spread randomly and now occurs all over the place. I've lost no strength (do strength tests daily to confirm) and have no atrophy or slurred speech. The muscle twitches seem to be aggravated in my right hand for example when I use it (for example if I clinch my fist hard for 20 seconds and release, the twitching starts to fire off). When I clinch my fist again, the twitching stops. It seems by all of the tests I've done to myself that when the twitching occurs, I can stop it by flexing that particular muscle group. I've read a lot about BFS and other common things this could be, but my bloodwork all came back normal. I've had some tight feelings in my right shoulder as well as my right leg, but no weakness. Since I've had these twitches for 2 months, if it were ALS, would there be weakness or atrophy by now?

Thank you for all who take their time to give their input.

If you had blood drawn, I'm presuming you had your strength tested by a doc?

If it was normal, as you say, you haven't presented anything to worry about in re ALS, but sometimes a massage by an MT with a neuromuscular focus can reset your system, along with stretches morning and night, including arm circles and leg lifts.

After that, if you develop difficulty in doing what you used to, would be the time to revisit the doc and consider repetitive stress injuries, etc. Pending that time, I'd also consider your work, sitting and sleeping surfaces, and your positioning.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your response. Yes I had a strength test by my PCP and all checked out fine (resistance-pushing/pulling, walking on toes and heels, hand grip, etc)

I really appreciate the fast response.

I thought I would also clarify my comment in case someone else were reading this that my twitches come at random and they've happened everyday all throughout the day for 2 months nonstop. It doesn't only occur when I clinch my fist so to say, but that does seem to aggrevate. Same thing with my thigh muscle near my knee...if I notice twitching, I can flex that leg or stand on that leg and the twitching goes away. As soon as the muscle is relaxed, the twitching fires up again. The twitching is all over (hands, shoulder, eyelids, back, thighs, ankles, toes, etc).

Thanks again.

You describe numbness and tightness. This is not ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless if there is no evidence of muscle function failure.

Please read this. https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html

You do not have ALS.

Hi Karen-
I wanted to ask you one further question. The tightness I'm experiencing in my right shoulder feels more like the shoulder tires out quickly. For example just cleaning the kitchen counters causes it to start burning and aching and I have to stop, so I would describe it as my shoulder is getting fatigued much faster than it used to. Does muscle weakness come before muscle fatigue in ALS? I assumed muscle weakness would come first, and then the muscles would fatigue faster because there were less muscle fibers to carry the load. But nonetheless I wanted to ask you your opinion.

My opinion is that you don’t have ALS and that your shoulder tightness and fatigue more likely is related to an issue with the tendons, ligaments, or shoulder joint.

Pain in the shoulder region can also be referred from the neck or upper back. It still is more likely to have a musculoskeletal origin.

Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back