Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
All,

As a preface: Dr. Google has me a bit worked up, so I wanted to ask you all a question about some odd symptoms I'm having, as well as if they're anything to do with ALS.

About 4 days ago I got a weird, painless twitch in my left cheek. I could see it twitch intermittently for the better part of the evening. It's much decreased in frequency now, but every now and again I'll see that left cheek twitch.

About 2 days go I noticed in the evening that my left pinky was twitching. Not back and forth, and not to any great degree, but simply slightly up and down. I've had such things before, but usually after a few "twitches", it's done. This one continued into the evening and kept me up looking at Dr. Google in the wee hours! :) Like the cheek twitch, it's largely dissipated, but every now and then I feel that left pinky twitch, if only a little.

Lastly, today, I noticed a random twitch in my left arm, just a bit higher than the back side of my elbow. Painless, as were all the others, but visible as I looked at it. It's stopped right about now.

The LCD for me is that they're all on the left side of my body. I don't know if that's significant; it's just what I notice.

I think I made the mistake of going to Google and typing in "left pinky twitch", and I got all kinds of videos about Michael J. Fox and his Parkinson's Disease, as well as others about ALS. I should be clear that thus far the only symptom I have is the twitching in various body parts: I have no muscle weakness or other symptoms.

So, my question to you: does it sound like my multiple body-part twitches are consistent with an ALS diagnosis? My guess here is the answer is "no", but short of going to the doctor, I wanted to ask all you folks out their about your thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Far more likely than anything else is that you need some hydration, potassium, calcium, magnesium and/or sodium. Twitching in the absence of any other symptoms is very seldom concerning. See your PCP if symptoms persist.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back