Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ES
State
Malaga
City
Malaga
Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post.

I'm a 27 yo male, from Spain (so forgive my English if I misspell something). I've had issues with my left arm for years (numbness in the night), but things have gone worse in the last couple months, since my left leg started acting weird.
I have pain along the back of my leg, with weakness, and I cannot stand on it (I need to balance my weight from one knee to the other continuously). I can walk normally though. It feels like someone is grabbing it with their hands and making it tight and tight. I also have fasciculations from time to time (2 or 3 and they stop), and small spasms sometimes. Pain is worse when I'm sitting or standing, and gets better walking or lying.

My doctor sent me to do several tests. The cervical MR shows rectification only, and a small hernia on C6, C7, on the right side (opposite to the one where I have pain and numbness). The lumbar and cranial MRs are alright.

The issues come with the EMG/ENG. This is what they say:
- ENG: conductions and potentials are within normal limits, but the range of the potentials is in the lower limits for the peroneal nerve. The guy who was doing this told me this is not normal for my age.

- EMG: left calf and triceps: no spontaneous denervation found. Motor unit potentials have increased duration and amplitude, with normal polyphasics. Effort patterns are intermediate - interferencial.

Conclusions: cronical denervation in radicular left area S1, and C6,C7 of weak intensity.

I was with the Neurologist today and he couldn't give me an answer for these results on the EMG. He told me he doesn't see anything abnormal in the physical studies that he did in my left arm and leg, but that I should do the EMG again in 3 months and check whether it's gone worse. This is what really scares me, that I have to repeat it again to give it time to "grow"?

sorry, I'm probably being paranoic, but if you can help me understand these results I'd be very happy. Maybe they are not a signal of ALS but something else that you've also seen before and can tell me what it s.

thanks a lot for all your help.

sorry to bother you so much, but it'd be great to get some answers if you know something... thanks a lot to everyone

It sounds like your neurologist is being extremely cautious in even planning follow up.

Those EMG findings have often been reported by worried people here. I do not remember a single one who turned out to have ALS. Not one.

Those large MUPs which is what they are often called can even be a sign of a stronger muscle and are found in those who lift weights

A back issue could also cause them and your leg pain is consistent with that. Pain and an EMG like that do not seem like ALS.

Enjoy the next three months and please don't waste them worrying

Thanks a lot for your kind reply Nikki. I will try to do so, really. You're so kind with your response, and I really wish you the best and all the strength for you and your family.

If it gives any more info, in the last days I'm waking up at night with my left calf completely rigid (cramped). I need to stand, stretch, and it stops a little bit. This all makes me keep on getting worried....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back