Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
West Chester
Good Evening, I am hoping one of you could possibly help me. I am a 36yr old male that had a son diagnosed with a health condition this last December. I started with pins and needles, heavy health anxiety about my heart. I seen a neurologist and they performed a emg this past February. Everything was normal. I exercise alot since I am a soldier but the past two weeks I have had muscle twitches mostly on my left side especially in the calf. I also have some calf cramping. I know these could be bfs but what makes me nervous is I also now feel like my throat can not push all my saliva down like its stuck in my throat. I don’t have issues eating or drinking though. Can someone tell me if these symptoms present early ALS? Thank you and I sincerely mean this when I say the fact that you all help others as your going through what you are is soooo incredible. May God Bless you with a cure!!

Neither your issues nor your normal EMG suggest ALS. I am sorry to hear about your son. Anxiety about a child can certainly lead to generalized anxiety, which can speed up your heart, make your mouth seem dry, and cause hyperventilation that can in turn cause/worsen twitches and tingling. Anxiety can also lead to the kind of grab 'n' go eating that is not always conducive to good nutrition.

I would therefore suggest that you consider counseling to get some tips on how to better deal with all this, not only for your own health, but so you are able to support your son and family in all the ways I'm sure you want to.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the response Laurie, I just have one more question. From your experience, can you have trouble swallowing and leg twitching at the same time. I guess a better way to ask is arent these two different types of ALS onset. The throat being bulbar and the legs being limb? Isn’t it almost impossible to have them both at the same time as onset? Thank you so much.

There is no reason at all to suspect ALS in what you report. Please work with your doctors for sorting your issues out.

Yes, it would be very unusual to have both in concert as ALS onset in the timeframe you describe. But a clean EMG says that you don't have ALS in any case, whether you had one or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back