Not open for further replies.

lydia

Country
US
State
ny
City
buffalo
I have noticed lately that if I raise my voice, even a little---to speak to someone in the other room, to project my voice in a huge classroom when the students get a little loud, to express a little displeasure at the actions of my irresponsible teen....that my throat tightens and I guess tickles is the word, I won't be able to speak exactly, and I have to cough through it. If it (tightness) happens, it is always accompanied by the cough. And then the throat is immediately sore and the voice sounds hoarse/gravelly; as if I had been screaming, and for some extended period of time to boot. The coughing doesn't happen for long, just a few moments, and it doesn't seem particularly violent, but the sore throat afterwards really really hurts. And the funky voice can last for hours. On the positive side, I like to imagine I am a (thin) Kathleen Turner.

So....any insight as to what this is? Is it a muscle or nerve or something type of issue? Is it a coincidence that it is happening now, when the rest of me is going to hell? I go back to dr. in a few weeks but gee whiz the list of stuff to cover is getting long.

I don't smoke by the way.

Lydia

Ok, so no one had a similar experience? I thought it was odd, but not that odd!

So I did some digging around and have found some relationship between exerting the voice (defined as raising it intermittently and NOT extended screaming) and subsequent immediate throat tightness WITH cough AND sore throat. Some type of vocal cord disfunction (got a little hairy to read here). Huh. Sounds like what I am experiencing. AND those who are reporting this combination of symptoms are suffering from MG or.......(drum roll please....) a mitochondrial disorder. Well, who knows? It might be the clue that brings it all together.

Or I am just another example of an undiagnosed going off the deep end and twisting every possible nuance of the body to fit some predetermined belief about a mystery disease that diretly contradicts the informed opinion of all involved medical personnel.

Either way, it is an odd physical complaint but easily managed (but it might put a damper on my private life :wink:)

Lydia

Ok, Ms. Turner,

I dont get that sx, My kids would know something was wrong if I could not yell! Actually, I dont yell that much.

Dont worry about your private life, just keep 'Romacing the stone'.

Ya'll lost me. I am clueless. This must be girl talk. Does it have anything to do with the "girls" or Speedos? Otherwise I am outta here.

I will take it sloooooow,

she said that she sounds like kathleen turner who was in that movie in the 80's 'romancing the stone". so this was my feeble attempt at being funny about her comment with her private life. I am not sure how a sore throat would impact ones private life? I mean the gag reflex is obvious!

Ok I watch movies that have a lot of stuff blowing up or westerns. Probably missed that one although I have heard of it. Thanks for taking it slow for an ol' Southern boy.

I guess its just us on this thread! no one else wants a part of it.........

Allow me to clarify: haven't you ever heard the phrase "she's a screamer"....

And April, I have to laugh, my kids know when they are REALLY in trouble because I would run around the house slamming all the windows shut before letting loose with some tirade!

Lydia

Lydia

LOL! Too funny, we have to laugh these days, huh?

I stopped yelling because my 4 yr old will cry and say 'you hurt my feelings' or 'you dont have to talk like that'...just love it when they throw back our words right at us between the eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back