Question about pee

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana

Distinguished member
It seems like my dad has to go pee A LOT. When he goes, not a whole lot comes out. But, he feels the urge to go quite often. This has been going on for a while, and it was mostly at night time. Since he has been in the hosptial though, it is throughout the day too. It is not a urinary track infection...the doctors looked into that. I was wondering if anyone else feels the urge to pee a lot (or as my 2 yr old son would say "pee-pee")? I wasn't sure that if the bladder muscles deteriorate too along with this disease. Could we get a break from somewhere please?
Dana

Dana,

I'm no doctor but the symptoms you mention are classic for enlarged prostate. Especially the early tendency to urinate often at night. Check out more at:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/prostaticenlargement.htm

A summary:

With age, the prostate gland may begin to grow - this happens to most men. The growth may eventually cause problems with urination, because the gland pinches off the urethra as it increases its size.

The growth in itself is harmless and so the condition is called benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). It occurs most often in men over the age of 60. Up to 30 per cent of men in their 70s have BPH that causes them symptoms.

What kinds of problems can an enlarged prostate cause?

The enlargement of the prostate gland stretches and distorts the urethra and so obstructs the urine flow. Symptoms include:
  • a weak or interrupted urinary stream. Several attempts to empty the bladder may be necessary.
  • difficulty starting the urine flow, even when the bladder feels full.
  • a feeling the bladder is not completely empty.
  • a need to urinate often during the day and during the night. Increased need to urinate in the night is usually a very early symptom.

Last edited:
Thanks John. I am going to look into that. I couldn't read the website that you listed. The print was really really tiny, and I couln't figure out how to enlarge it to read. Anyways, thanks for the response. I am gonna ask dad's doctors about it.
Dana

I would agree with John. Most guys don't talk among themselves like women do and they don't talk about P problems. The few guys that I do talk to about things like that usually say things like what you have just described. Pills will help. Yes Jerry I know pills are bad but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. And yes a pun was intended but in no way was meant to diminish the symptoms or feelings of anyone. Prostate problems are a real problem for men over 45 and should not be ignored .

Dear Dana,

One of the lovely gifts that ALS has brought me is the bladder control issue. My neurologist says that it is a rare but real symptom of ALS. I take Detrol (also called tolterodine tartrate), a drug that helps me control the urge incontinence somewhat. I also use disposable protective briefs at night. Once I got over the stigma of wearing "diapers", it made life a lot easier.

You may also wish to review possible side effects of any drugs your dad may be taking.

Hi All,
My Mom's neurologist said bladder control was not affected with ALS. I had read that it is rare, but that it does happen. It really can affect your bladder. Her bladder problems started with the frequent urges to go to the bathroom.

Hi Guys,

Henry did not have much problems peeing. He did tward that end seem to have the urge to pee more and barely nothing came out. I did not think that this problem was actually related to als.. The doc did not seem to think so either, however, everyonw is different. I know his bowels were a different problem all together. However, there are so many different rememdies for all of these problems, thank goodness. Good luck. It does sound like prostrate trouble to me as well. Keep a eye on it, not literally, but maybe get the docs opinion on it.

Carol

lithium side effect

I started on lithium 2 weeks ago. I wonder if anyone else has had same problems. I don't drink as much as I should but I ALWAYS have to go to bathroom. Is this just another ALS symptom or what.

Lithium

Hi.
My Neuro. says Lithium has a diuretic effect and I do go more often since I started Lithium. He also cautioned me to keep normal salt intake and drink plenty of water.
Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back