Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CN
State
China
City
Shanghai
If you have a clean NCS, does that rule out a pinched nerve anywhere in your body (NCS was done on all four limbs)? Also, I've had two c-spine MRI's, but they have never done a full spine MRI. Could a disc problem lead to the weakness and pain I'm feeling in my arms? I think not....but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks in advance!

Bri

Ask your doctor. We can't diagnose anyone. I wish you luck.

I don't think Lotusbri was asking for a diagnosis but rather a specific question regarding the capability of NCV/EMG to detect mechanical issues close to the spine. I have been asking the same question from every doctor I've met and am still without a clear answer, so if somebody has any insight into this, I too would appreciate any bit of information. Just to be able to ask the doctor the right questions.

thanks inventor...
I def may have worded things like I was looking for someone to diagnose me. So sorry about that! You said it right though...I was basically looking for clarification on my NCS. It was clean...only one reading that said "low normal" was noted. I keep telling myself "maybe I just have a pinched nerve or a slipped disk or something" but I'm confused as to whether a pinched nerve would show in your back if you had the NCS on your arms and legs. Does that make sense? Also with the disc question...I've never had a full spine MRI just the c-spine. I imagine if my neuro thought it was a disc issue, he would order a full MRI, or at least voice his suspicions. So far I have nothing to go on and each day is worse than the day before (physically). I can muddle through most of the things I could do before, but often it greets me with intense pain and cramping. Typing this note for example...I can do it, but I'm paying for it in pain. I know true weakness causes you to not be able to do things anymore, but I'm having a hard time understanding that concept. Like does someone just wake up one day and BAM....they can't open a jar, or is it somewhat progressive in nature? I keep reading that true weakness means you can no longer do what you used to, but I seriously can't imagine that just happening over night. Aren't their signs that things are slipping, and don't those signs sound like what I have going on? I'm sorry, I'm just thinking out loud. I wish I knew of somewhere else to turn. I don't want to make anyone angry here or waste anyone's time. I take comfort in my clean EMG a year ago. I just don't know what else it could be and I'm so scared since I have such young kiddos to look after. I love them with all my heart and soul and I'm just sad that they are suffering along with me : (

Lotusbri . Wright may be able to clarify what the NCS will show. try leaving him a note . I would be interested in the answer too
Best wishes Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back