Other
Country
US
State
NV
City
Las Vegas
Hello..

I have a quick question about neck pain, as it relates to ALS. Is neck pain/fatigued considered a symptom of bulbar ALS? At what point in ALS stage, does the neck become affected? Do you just wake up oneway, and you aren't able to move your neck, or is it gradual, and what are the first signs if it is gradual. Sorry for the questions, I'm panicking. I also have body wide twitches, and perceived weakness. I did read the stickies, but this question is burning in me in..

No, neck pain and fatigued neck is not a symptom of bulbar.

Is that it? You have body wide twitches and a pain in the neck?

That, and the perceived weakness are my worries. But I'm starting to see how ridiculous I sound. Answer these last questions for me, please.

1. At what point in ALS does the neck become affected?

2. With Bulbar, since the tongue is a muscle, does it Atrophy? If it does, is that an early symptom, or something that comes later in the disease.

When I stuck out my tongue this morning, I noticed an indention on the front of my tongue. It has me worried that I'm experiencing early onset of bulbar...

1 in my experience neck is very late.

2 any atrophy in a tongue would be also be late

A dent means absolutely nothing with regard to ALS. You have not described any early symptoms of ALS bulbar or otherwise. And please do not ask what early symptoms might be. The power of suggestion is strong

Go see your primary doctor and let him/ her evaluate you

Please excuse my ignorance... It just scared me to see the indention on the tongue. I was under the impression, that an indention in the muscle means Atrophy.

I also failed to mention that I have tongue fasiculations as well. Does this change anything?

under the impression, that an indention in the muscle means Atrophy.

No, it doesn't.

In ALS, first a nerve in the brain is destroyed, then its corresponding muscle lays limp and paralyzed because it's not getting any signals to contract. Finally, after weeks and months of not being used, the muscle looks atrophied.

You've described a dent on your tongue, a pain in your neck, and body-wide twitches. All these things are very common in even healthy people. Yet you're investigating a rare disease?

Jenn, if you still have a health concern, you should see your doctor. So far your posts have shown the world-record "weakest case" for ALS I've ever seen. Good news for you!

ADDED: "I have tongue fasiculations as well. Does this change anything?"
It probably means you don't know what a fasciculation is. But you don't need to know. You need to calm down.

No. First you can only count them as twitches if the tongue is at rest and second even if you twitch at rest it is just like twitches anywhere else. Common and insignificant Please stop, go to your doctor instead

I think your answers are spot on....Thank you

Ok.. this is my last questions, and I will try and move on from this.

1. Does someone have the same chances of getting Bulbar ALS onset, as they do with it starting in the lower neurons? Are the chances of getting Bulbar more or Less?

2. When I stick out my tongue, I can see it twitching. This has to be Bulbar, right?

Question 2 wrong. You clearly paid no attention to the sticky or my second post in this thread

Question 1 you don't understand upper and lower motor neurons. Nor do you need to to live your life. To answer the chances of bulbar vs lower limb vs upper limb onset they are roughly equal but bulbar is more common in older people.

For the last time. You are not describing ALS symptoms. Go. To. Your. Doctor. Please?

Last edited:
I've tried to get this out of my head, but I seem to have new symptoms. Currently, My tongue, and roof of mouth is very dry, and my tongue also feels numb. I have a lot of mucus build up that I have to swallow. When I do, it feel like it doesn't go down. Also, My head has been hurting off and on. My neck still hurts as well. I am truly worried about Bulbar onset at this point. Twitches in the face, tongue, and lips. I just don't see any other cause for my problems. I also feel pressure in my check bones. Please forgive me. I know I'm a lot to deal with, but I have no where else to turn for answers.

Jenn, I can tell you are worried. Your anxiety is very real. Therefore, the best place to get answers is a real, live doctor.
The people who have answered your queries here are extremely knowledgeable about ALS.
They see no ALS in any of your statements, that's great news for you.
See a doctor, there are no answers for symptoms unrelated to ALS here.
All the best, Janelle

I completely agree, Green. I know I have a problem, and despite what people think about people with anxiety issues, its real to us. Let me ask you this, and I'll try to stay way. Given my new symptoms, does any of this sound like possibly ALS? Dry throat, pain in neck, numb tongue and throat, increased mucus, lip twitch, pain in face? I know you aren't a doctor, and can't diagnose me with anything. Just want your opinion.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back