Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Connecticut
City
East Hartford
I know that muscle weakness is a main symptom of ALS but I'm not sure what that means.
Does your muscle always feel weak?

For example when I do push-ups or use my hands to push myself up, my left arm shakes. Also I feel my shoulders shaking when moving my arms. This never used to happen. Is this a sign of ALS or is weakness associated with ALS constant?

A muscle shaking when it is working hard is common and completely normal. It does not mean you have any weakness.There is a really good thread called "Dont know yet", that explains muscle weakness in ALS very well. If you are interested take a look.

Cheers Aly

For me, it started with severe cramps loooooong before any weakness.

Hi
I had severe cramps for a full 18 month in my r/hand before weakness
Scouse

I started with arm weakness. Everything got worse after I was diagnosed.

Thanks for the replies.

Had a question for NotALS, was your weakness like I described or constant arm weakness. What did it feel like?

After exertion my left arm shakes, my left hand tremors, and my left shoulder will even tremor when I put weight on it when I am tired (at night). ON top of that, I have body wide fasciculations. But, I DONT HAVE ALS - I had a thorough EMG that was clean. And I have all my strength (when I was worried I strength tested every day to confirm this). My neuro was adamant that tremors are not a sign or symptom of ALS, though some here may disagree. I am no expert but I don't think what you are describing is ALS related. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back