Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Quincy
Ok, Mom was DX'd a month ago, based solely on history, presenting symptoms, and a thorough physical examination at the ALS clinic. Next week, they have her scheduled for bloodwork, a cervical MRI, and she had a pulmonary study a few days ago. Can anyone shed some light on what her Drs are thinking/doing?

Thanks.

Sorry about your mom The reason for the test are to make sure they are not missing anything The MRI is looking for something in the neck maybe causing arm weakness Or with blood they check for toxics Lymes MG Thyroid problems anything that can mimic ALS. All I think should have been done before a DX Not after. Good Luck Pat

There are alot of other treatable conditions that they must rule out and that is why these tests are done. What were your mom's presenting issues and how long has she had these? Good luck and I hope and pray that it is a mis diagnosis.

G

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, my father passed away 11 years ago from ALS. The reason they are doing the MRI is to rule out other diseases, they can detect MS through MRI scans. I myself have several symptoms, have had for 2 years now, I have had MRIs' of my Head, Neck and complete spine. Found nothing, meaning no MS. They have to be absolutely sure they are not missing anything....keep the faith, GOD be with you and your mom, you will need to be strong for her....

Hi ALS Daughter,

Did they do an EMG and other tests before diagnosis? It doesn't sound like it. That is confusing to me. When you say "phsical exam" did that include an EMG? I am sorry to hear this. Best Wishes, Peg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back