Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
washington
City
chehalis
I can no longer walk & my husband uses a Hoyer to move me to my wc or livingroom recliner. From the bed he helps me stand with the aid of a walker (with no wheels) for about 20 seconds to get my pants on & off. I am concerned as I won't be able to stand much longer....how to I get in the hoyer sling from the bed? I have a commode opening so it needs to be lined up just right. Maybe it's just practice but any hints would really help. It is easy to get the sling off at night when I go to bed but getting into it laying down has me worried. ALS is moving so quickly...legs already gone but now my arms are changing almost daily.

This site has been so helpful to me.

I am sorry for all your challenges but this should be doable. How do you get off it now? can you roll on your side or can he roll you?
to get on
1. turn on your side
2 husband position sling at correct level with half of sling bunched up against your back
3 roll over bump to other side
4 husband straighten out bunched up side so sling is now flat on bed
5 roll onto your back
you should be good to go.
maybe practice a bit now so you are used to the procedure. if your husband is average strength he should be able to do this even if you can not help by turning at all. all it takes is a bit of practice!
hope this is clear. I used to be a CNA when i was in college so have done this many times

Thanks for the ideas...we will practice that. I appreciate the information. Have a good day

I'm right behind you cairn, picking up a hoyer lift next weekend so they can get me off the floor when I fall... which is only when I use the commode in my room, as I can't get into the bathroom in my house anyway.

Lots of good help on this site, where I've learned so much. A friend of mine told me last year (she was then bed-bound) that it's easier to leave the sling underneath you when you progress further, and just hook it up when you need it. Not sure what she also used at that point.

Good luck!

There are different kinds of slings, Cairn. The one that we used for my husband most of the time was called a commode sling. It didn't require lifting to get it on him. There was a strap/sling to slip behind him and then the same straps to put around each leg. We did it with no real effort. He had another sling that we used only a couple of times but that required getting it all under and behind him which was quite labour intensive. You're probably aware of these slings though. Sorry you're progressing this way. Warm thoughts. Yasmin.

I use the sling that goes under and around my leg I can get on the pot and my husband doesn't have a problem, no lifting or straining on his part since I also wear skirts that open all the way down the back and tie just like an apron.
My bed raises me up to a sitting position and they bend me over slightly and put my sling under me as good as possible and that works pretty good.
For more than a year now when I sit in my lift chair I use my cushion from my wheelchair the people who give me a shower comment on how good my skin looks. No broken skin no sores . Your wheelchair cushion should be the best cushion for your skin and a lot better than the lift chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back