Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NY
City
Hicksville
Hello: My brother (age 47) was diagnosed Jan 07 with ALS. I have been on the fringes for a while after discovering this wonderful site. He has lost the use of both arms, his legs are starting to get very week also. His wife has started looking into getting him a wheelchair and they also need to get some kind of van to transport him when the time comes that he can't walk. I was wondering if anyone knows of insurance paying for setting a van up for handicap use? the insurance company is not very forthcoming with info. He still gets up and goes to work everyday, it is such a struggle for him but it is what keeps him going (he is a supervisor paving roads) His boss has been wonderful, he picks him up every morning, he has wonderful friends and he is dealing the best he can. He has even gone on a hot air balloon ride and gone skydiving in the last month. Says he is making memories for his daughter (she is eight years old). I live in NY he is in Florida and I go see him when I can and we are flying him up here over the summer for a visit but it is very difficult being so very far away. His wife asked me about the van and insurance and I told her I am always reading this site and the people are awesome and I would put the question out there.

Thank you and God bless all of you.

Hi Lerg62. You are right that you can help from afar. Sometimes a PAL and his caretaker do not have enough time to do the research, so you've taken an important step. My first thought was actually about the wheelchair. If your brother is going to have to upfront any money to fix up or buy a van then he will want to save money on as many other things as possible. Is he registered with his local MD and ALS chapters? they have loaner closets and some funds, from what I understand. Also, you might try doing a search on past threads to see if the issue of vans and insurance has been discussed before. Often that is a good place to start. Cindy

Don't know of any insurance but do know there is a special "disability" credit company that will help with financing. Can't remember the name of company right now. Something like Credit Ability. Sorry have to get back with you.

I am sorry to hear of your brothers diagnosis. I don't believe that there is any insurance plan that will help with van conversion. I case manage for a large insurance company, and I know that it isn't a benefit for any of the plans within our company. (there are multiple different products within our corporation, under one name) My husband is still walking, but I have just done a little research in terms of what a van would cost. I have found many very recent models for sale locally,and on sites such as ebay. I would assume there would be certain measurements, etc that would have to be considered?
The earlier suggestion about the MDA and the ALSA were also great. The MDA covers a one time benefit of up to 2000.00 towards a wheelchair, which should cover most if not all of the copay, and the ALSA has loaners. Others with experience with wheelchairs could be of guidance there.
Insurance typically covers things like wheelchairs, some home equipment, usually nothing in the bathroom though, oddly enough. Seems like that would be the place for the greatest need for safety to me. But, luckily most bathroom equipment is fairly cheap.
I wish you and your family the best.
Andrea, wife of Pals Jim.

van

Hello,

My brother is also 47 and was recently diagnosed. His legs are the most impacted so far. I spoke with a couple of people today about wheelchairs and vans. I was told that medi-care medi-cal would cover a wheel chair but not the lift/ramp needed to put it in a van. I was told that a ramp type adaptor thing for just getting the chair into a van would run about $ 2,900 but that this would not be the kind needed if the PALS needed to ride the wheelchair into the van. I hope to find out more about this.

Thanks to all who post....it is so helpful.

Tara

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I have spoken to my sister in-law and Buddy is not yet registered with MDA or ALS so we are going to do that right away. She has just been trying to deal with things as they come up. What a wonderful place I have found with all of you! God bless all of you
LL

The web site I was thinking of is Credit-Able.com. But they are in Georgia. I think the state of NY has assistance for the disabled in the form of special loans for adaptive equipment. So much stuff to learn about so that we can take advantage of what's offered. It's all a matter of finding the help! That takes time. Time we don't really have a lot of!

home remodel for disability

Yesterday I learned that some communities have special funds to help with building ramps and enlarging doors. In the city of San Diego I think you can apply for up to $3,500 through the San Diego Housing Authority. The guy I spoke with said that the program is different in other cities and that not all cities had a program but it might be worth looking into as insurance doesn't cover the cost of making your home wheelchair user friendly.

Love all the info and support here....Thanks to all,
Tara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back