Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Buford
I have been using a heating pad at night on my arm and it seems to help. It seems to me that I read somewhere that heat is not good for ALS. Does anyone know? We have had a few days of cooler weather and if I get cold my legs cramp up like crazy? I am thinking about getting an electric blanket for the winter. Good or bad idea?

With my contact with other PALS we all seem to share the same sensitivity to cold temperatures. Meaning COLD is a killer. When I get cold my hands and arms are almost useless and legs get weaker. It takes several days at warm temperatures before they come back.

I bought a hot tub and use it ever day, it really helps. It was also recommended by my Neurologist as a treatment and good thing.

So - heat is good! An Electric Blanket is a excellent idea.

I'd have to agree. I used to sleep with just a sheet year round and now I have the blanket and comforter as well as the sheet. Warm is better.

Lisa:

This link suggests that heat or whirlpool helps for muscle cramping:

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/healthinformation/diseasesandconditions/nervous/als/

I use a neck wrap. It's microwavable. Even though it's designed for neck and shoulders, I'll put it under my leg or wrap it around an ankle, or contort it some other way to relax muscles.

When I was in college I fell asleep lying on a heating pad (I had a sore shoulder) and woke up to smoke where the pad had burned a hole in the couch. Not to mention the burn on my shoulder!

After that, I've never used a heating pad in any situation where I could fall asleep.

These rice filled microwavable jobbies are safer that way! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
hot tub

My problem is getting out of my hot tub, I miss it. Help any suggestions.:confused:

Depending on the location of the tub, would a Hoyer lift work? Would something like a pool ladder be adaptable or are you able to pull yourself up stairs?

Thanks everyone! I did get a heated blanket and boy was it awesome last night. We are remodeling the bathroom and we decided to do a whirlpool bath and a roll in shower. I guess I will figure out the getting in and out of the bath when the time comes.
Lisa:-D

hot tub

hi Al jan here, Can't pull up stairs. Hoover lift? Are they expensive? What really are they. If I could soak in my tub again that would be great. My husband has and will help me but I'n not skinny he says it doesn't brother him but,he has a work related shoulder injury.so, I have to save him for later. janf

Hoyer lift. If your hubby has been around a car garage it is like an engine lift for people. It is on wheels or can be put on a ceiling if the ceiling construction allows it. It has a sling that he would hook up around you and then lower you into the tub. If you contact the ALSA in Atlanta they may have a loan closet that you can borrow it from. Mention it to your Physiotherapist (assuming you have one). I'll find a website with a picture for you if I can.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back