Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
RO
State
TI
City
Timisoara
Hello, I had an EMG today (39 yo man). My symptoms were constant twitching in left hand muscle of the index finger for the past 4 weeks, then recently also twitches in other part of the left arm. Very rarely some twitches on the right hand and arm , but 99% are on left arm. No loss of strength in this arm from when the twitches started. My results from EMG were the following :

1) Motor responses are normal on the median and ulnar. Weak on the left ulnar median at the level of the wrist.
2) The LD is not elongated
3) Sensitive responses are normal and asymmetrical (weaker on the right on the median)
4) F waves are lengthened on the left ulnar nerve
5) Detection: neurogenic trace in C7-D1 on the left without repository activity

The neurologist said this is not ASL, but I'm a little concerned about the things she found in the left hand and since she didn't speak my language (I'm in a different country) was hard to understand perfectly why this couldn't be ASL . I attached the EMG graphics. Do you think these graphic results exclude the ASL ? Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_1289.JPG
    DSC_1289.JPG
    860 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_1290.JPG
    DSC_1290.JPG
    489 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_1291.JPG
    DSC_1291.JPG
    720.2 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_1292.JPG
    DSC_1292.JPG
    813.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_1293.JPG
    DSC_1293.JPG
    764.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_1294.JPG
    DSC_1294.JPG
    762 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_1295.JPG
    DSC_1295.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
What you have described and provided are nerve conduction test results. What’s important in ALS is the EMG part of the test where needles are stuck in the muscles. The test measures electrical activity of the muscles as the contract and relax.

She also stuck needles in the muscles and shocked me with them, most of the test was like that, I thought the results were there ? What I attached is the only things she gave me. It means the results with needles were Ok if she said I don't have ASL ? And the left hand problem described by her doesn't have anything to do with ASL ?
Thank you

There was a page headed emg that listed muscles and the notes section was blank. Maybe that was the emg and they only comment if abnormal? In most places we get columns and normal and 0 are noted if nothing was found.

yes the part that was reported is nerve conduction and the problem with your hand described has nothing to do with ALS. It is the emg ( needles) that matter and even then most abnormalities seen are from things other than ALS

I understand, so maybe it was nothing of importance that's why she didn't note in that area. Thank you for the help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back