00/0000
Country
UK
State
LO
City
London
Hi all

Recently had an EMG but was unconvinced about how it was done. Showed no evidence of fasiculation in calves even though they're twitching like crazy. If you stick the needle in the side of the calf instead of the back where it is wasted does it still give an accurate reading? Apologies for the naivety

Hi Sidney

twitches are not necessarily ALS fasciculations, so that is likely why they did not show anything on EMG.

Twitching means nothing, but a clean EMG means everything - regardless of what angle the needle was stuck in.

Your doctor should take you through what your EMG results mean and suggest where to next.

Thanks Tillie.Now been told fasiculations showed up but are benign. Does this make sense?

Sidney, what does the EMG report summary actually say?

But yes, a needle in an atrophied leg should show a nerve or muscle problem in the next-door muscle as well. And fascics can certainly be benign -- as we say, it is the company they keep (other things that might or might not show up on the nerve/muscle testing) that matters.

Best,
Laurie

Conclusion says Most likely Benign Fasiculations and Cervical and Lumbar radiculopathy. No sign of AHD. I was told this is 'good' but am querying g the methodology of the EMG.

Asked and answered, Sydney. Get your spine imaged and if disk disease is found, relief is often found with anti-inflammatories and physical therapy.

Forgive the paranoia Igelb and thanks for your time but can I trust this conclusion? I now have weakness in arms and numb feet

1. Yes, you can trust the conclusion.
2. You may always ask for a second opinion from another doctor.
3. Weakness in both arms? That's not very ALS-like. Numb feet? Doesn't sound like ALS.

What makes you think you might have ALS?

Thanks for the reply. Prior to EMG had huge weight loss, massive calf fasiculations and muscle wastage. Now arm weakness and foot numbness. Neuro mentioned possible Als. He's convinced not tbh but I get progressively weaker day by day . Thanks for responding. I value your opinion. Any thoughts?

Forgot to mention left calf spasticity. Symptoms I think point to Als? EMG doesn't. So confused

Do you feel weak, or do you have clinical weakness?

Feel weak in arms and getting a slap gait walk. Not looking good is it?

NO feeling weak means it's unlikely to be ALS.

Please read our sticky. People with ALS do not feel weak.

Many thanks Tillie for taking the time.You are wonderful to do so.

Sorry to be naive but what is this 'sticky' and where can I find it please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back