Question about dry foods and ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Ok so everything I just typed got lost so I am going to try this again:

Hope everyone is staying cool:)

I would like to ask if anyone has trouble with things like cakes especially something like drake devil dogs... Dad had two last night at around 9:30pm. He ate them and it was fine when they were going down. a little later he coughed once or twice and drank some water... Then when he went to bed at around 10:30 I heard him cough and clear his throat a few times... I know that sometimes when I eat these I find them very dry and I thought that perhaps this is something he should not eat or at least not something he shoud eat so close to bed... Would you all agree? I get nervous when this happens this means that food is stuck in the lungs and this it what causes aspiration and then you can get sick... Would this be considered that or just a wrong pipe, or sticky food in the back of the throat that is causing the reflex of a cough?

Thanks in advance for your response

I don't think we get drake devil dogs up here in Canada. At least not in the Toronto area. But I do get a tickle in my throat and a lot of coughing from peanut skins and bread crumbs. I think they are just stuck in the back of the throat and not in the lungs. Sometimes it takes quite a while to hack it up even with lots of water. Sometimes it won't go down. You just have to keep hacking until it loosens up.

Al thanks for the response... I can't believe you don't get these that could be considered a sin :).... No really they are great... I can send you some if you would like?

As for the bread and peanuts... It's strange on some days this happens and others it does not. I think it just depends on the day. Is he tired or just really hungreay and rushing his food down....

Thanks but they'd probably be stale by the time the snail mail got them here. I'm only a couple of hours from Buffalo so next time I'm down that way I'll look for them. I have found while I don't have bulbar symptoms I have to concentrate on eating a bit more than I used to. My jaw gets tired as well when chewing some things. Lee bought me some of that Muslix cereal and it is tiring as heck eating it. Tastes good but not worth the effort. Cheerios here I come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back