Not open for further replies.

lydia

Country
US
State
ny
City
buffalo
Regarding a (normal) MRI report, is anyone able to translate into plain English the phrase "the ventricular system is borderline prominent. There is no evidence of CSF flow".

Is there any practical significance to a 'borderline prominent ventricular system'?

Just curious...off topic, I know.

Lydia

The ventricles of the brain are hollow chambers (located more or less in the center of the brain) that produce the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). The CSF is then circulated around the central nervous system (i.e. brain and spinal cord). It eventually also drains into the venous system. Under normal conditions, the amount that is produced matches the amount that drains, therefore keeping a normal volume of CSF.

The word "prominent" in medicine typically means big or bigger than normal.

Are you sure that it said "there is no evidence of CSF flow" on your report? If CSF doesn't flow, pressure will build-up in the brain. This would happen because the CSF would continue to be produced . . . and if it doesn't flow . . . it won't be able to drain into the venous system . . . and therefore cause an increase in pressure. That can potentially become a very serious medical condition called hydrocephalus. If left untreated, it is life-threatening.

I would call your neuro and double-check to make sure that is what the report actually said or if it was a typo. Ask them to explain it to you until you understand.

thanks

Hello Wright,

Yes it really does say that, and given your explanation, I assume it must be a typo since it later says it is a normal MRI. This report was already in neuro's hands by the time I initially saw her, but I will point it out on next visit. So...having larger than normal hollow chambers is basically normal variation, like being pretty short or tall? It doesn't manifest itself with some bizarre physical symptom? ("wow, her ventricles must be really big....")

Thanks for the feedback, I hate reading techno stuff on the internet and yet am currently obsessed with deciphering my medical records...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back