Status
Not open for further replies.
notme, sorry I didn't see your post before...
Her mother didn't have ALS, father died young, so its not clear. She doesn't have siblings. So its an uncertainty.
She lost use of one arm and speech is slurred, lost much weight and legs are getting weaker. Also loss of balance.
I am living in nightmare.. Don't want to see what happens further.. and afraid that it can happen to me too...

I noticed that many people who have ALS, have family members with other neurodegenerative diseases in their families. So I wonder maybe mom got ALS from gene mutation from Alzheimers? Is it possible? I don't understand much in genetics, just looking for possible reasons.. What do you think about it?

I noticed that many people who have ALS, have family members with other neurodegenerative diseases in their families.

This is not true :!:

Stop. Insomnia. You are worrying for no reason. That's normal, but with no reason.
I think you are so worried, that you are not listening well to us.

FIRST, be more specific about the symptoms your mom has. This is very important. Does the weakness come and go? Is there pain? There are many neurodegenerative problems that are NOT ALS, and not fatal.
Second, you MUST wait for the EMG to have a diagnosis. This is the gold standard test for ALS. If the EMG is clean, it's not ALS.
Third: you don't have ALS. And you won't get ALS from your mom. And your baby won't get ALS from you.
Fourth: Alzheimers and ALS have nothing in common.

Try to relax. Your mind is making you think too much about very rare possibilities.

Thank you Atsugi..
Mom's symptoms: Started with slurred speech in winter. Later left arm gradually weekened without any improvement. Loss of balance. Lost much weight. Fasciculations. Weak arm is sensitive to cold. Pain in muscles of that arm (maybe cramps). Muscle atrophy in shoulder and arm. No tingling, no sensory changes. I can't think any other reason, but ALS. Will test mom for Lyme.. But very very small hope, cause she doesn't have any pain in joints, fever etc.
I had a very stressfull month, cause I was almost sure then..just was waiting for MRI and other tests.. WHAT IF? But nothing :(

"Pain in muscles of that arm (maybe cramps)."
That's not an ALS symptom. Could be neuropathy, not ALS.

can't think any other reason, but ALS.
It's nice of you to be concerned about your mom, but you're not a doctor. I think you're worrying too much at this early date.

You never said that a doctor had diagnosed her. It would be good to relax for awhile and realize that it is probably not ALS. If even a doctor doesn't know yet what it is, don't try to diagnose her yourself.

And anyway, the odds of being hereditary are even smaller than the odds of having ALS.

Good luck to you.

Doctor referred her to EMG with suspition about ALS... And I think its classical symptoms. I am half doctor (educated in other medical field though, not neurology).
About my personal fears.. Even its sporadic, she must have something wrong, genetic predisposition. I gathered most of her genes, so I must have it too.. I worked in fields for 4 months with much pesticides, 2,5 years with cleaning chemicals, smoked for 10 years, lived in the same environment as mom for very long time.. So even its not hereditary, I have much chance..? My mind is lazy, but in such situations it works too much..;/

lived in the same environment as mom for very long time.. So even its not hereditary, I have much chance..?

No, the chances are not increased by living in the same circumstances. If this were the case, then there would be many husband and wife couples with the disease. You don't have much chance of having ALS, even if your mom has it.

insomnia--you must calm down. So, what if you are genetically predisposed? what next? nothing--you must still live your life to the fullest. you are not hearing the facts of the disease. 90% chance you won't get it--and you don't even know if she has it! Come on--relax!

really--All you can do is not have kids. but if that were the case becasue your mom might have als and you might get it and they might get it is ridiculous!

Cancer is much more hereditary--people are still living life and still having babies. Dont be afraid of ALS. Calm down. do not think about it.

And, DO NOT ask anymore questions here until you have a confirmed diagnosis.

I'm sorry folks but I just got to ask....

Half doctor? What's with that?

If your mother has ALS, and none of her family members before her, parents or siblings or grandparents had it, it is Not genetic.

Your last comment is just silly. If that were true, every family would have the sporadic kind if one did. Every smoker would have it if o e did.

What is a half doctor for heavens sake? If you are I. Medical school, you know better.

Sporadic ALS is NOT genetic. They have no idea what causes it. If they did, they'd have a cure. I don't know of ONE person that has two family members with sporadic ALS.

My husband is the only one in his family with ALS. Yes, I know it has to start somewhere, however the chances are very slim. I CHOOSE to believe it is Sporadic, and not Familal. Testing is outrageously expensive, and never 100% accurate. You need to make the choice to be consumed with fear, or to just let it go.

Thank you for your coments... I will try to wait for diagnosis and not to panic. But our family history is not well known.
About half doctor.. I was graduated as a midwife.. So I am not a doctor, but I studied medicine. We joke like this here, that nurses and midwives are half doctors:)

Your last comment is just silly. If that were true, every family would have the sporadic kind if one did. Every smoker would have it if o e did.

I didn't mean smoking increase risk for everybody. I ment only for those, whose close relative has ALS.

But so far you haven't sounded like remotely like someone with medical training of any kind. You continue to post really silly ideas and you completely ignore the people here who do know a lot about the disease.

In short, you should be in the DIHALS section where you will meet all the other people who post really silly ideas and completely ignore the people here who do know a lot about the disease...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back