Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Allentown
I have a very basic question.

I understand that stiffness, spasms, spascity all to be a part of UMN.

So if you are having spasms and you tell the dr this, how come he/she indicates a clean exam? (i.e, no UMN symptoms).

Does the dr. have to SEE it?

More specifically, in my case, my trapezius muscle is locked in a constant spasm impacting my neck. Can I move the neck and trapezius, yes. It is a burning pain and rock hard to the touch. Why doesn't that qualify as UMN? (Not that I want it to, Im just trying to understand neuro results).

I have been to several neuros and none seem too really be concerned with the neck/trap spasms and I can't figure that out. It seems that they only test for spascity and stiffness at the elbows on the upper body.

Can someone explain that to me? I feel like I am missing something!

As per your previous Thread and now this one, you wrote, ("I have been to several neuros and none seem too really be concerned with the neck/trap spasms and I can't figure that out.") They did though... you do not have ALS or any MND. Like... "what would several neurologists know?" Maybe you need to see an Ortho Doctor or several... just to be sure it isn't ALS.

PS In your previous Thread more than one recommended you see a psychiatrist. Have you yet?

A pulled muscle or trigger points can cause spasms and stiffness.
"Clinically spasticity is defined as velocity-dependent resistance to stretch, where a lack of inhibition results in excessive contraction of the muscles, ultimately leading to hyperflexia (overly flexed joints)."
Spasms and stiffness are not the same as spasticity.
When I've had that kind of pain in my traps, I rely on trigger point therapy of ART (Active Release Technique) as it was, in my case, a muscle problem and certainly not a UMN problem.
It can. as ClearwaterAl implied, be an anxiety problem handled by a different type of doctor.

We are not doctors here, I would suggest that you follow up with a second or third opinion until you get a definitive answer. You should also what ClearwaterAl suggested.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back