Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ca
City
San Diego
Hi all. Thank you so much for reading and advice. I'm 32 and a new mother (4 months old). I've been experiencing some interesting symptoms so I wanted to get feedback. I have read the stickys so thank you! My symptoms:

The last few months (but more noticeably the last week) I have been experiencing weird feelings in my hands. (I know this is not a symptom). But I feel like my hands have become more clumsy. I drop things (this happened last year too) but I can't tell if I am dropping them bc of weakness. Examples: I was picking up a brush today and it slipped out of my hand (almost like I hadn't gripped it well) I had a pen in my hand yesterday and I was readjusting my notebook and my pen just fell through my fingers, I had dropped my pen two other times in similar circumstances. I am having no troubles opening things, buttoning, etc. Also the majority of the time I don't drop items. My hands feel almost shaky like I've had tons of caffeine. I notice it more in my right than left.

Things to note: I have a history of anxiety and have noticed I worry much more now that I have my daughter. Since the symptoms started I have gotten much less sleep (newborn) and am carrying her more often in the arm that I feel is weaker. (Dominant side). I have an appt with my doctor next week but would love feedback.

Thank you very much!

Also to add: I also just went bank to work a month ago to a new, very stressful position so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you very much.

Newmom, I don't see any ALS there. Lot's of new moms come to this site worried they might have ALS, but they all go off to see their doctors and don't come back here. Having a baby really messes with your body chemistry.

If you think your weakness is of concern, your primary care doctor can give you a simple exam that is surprisingly thorough. I see no reason to suspect ALS. However, there might be some simpler condition going on that your PCP can take of.

You mentioned a 4 month old child. How much sleep are you getting? I know when my kids were small 3-4 hours a night was a treat for the first while. It leaves you kinda punch drunk. Could explain a lot.......
Vincent

Thank you Atsugi. I appreciate your feedback!

And Vincent, yes I'm getting much less sleep overall. Very little the first 3 months now about 4-7 depending on the night. I used to sleep 8-10 so quite a change. My hope is that I am just tired/stressed an reacting to that. Thank you!

Thank you. I really want you all to know how much we appreciate you sharing your insight with us and taking the time to do so! I don't think I stressed that enough before!

Newmom, the other thing it could be is a pinched nerve in your neck. Again your pcp will be able to decide if that is a possibility. Steph

Thank you Steph! I'll see what he says about that!

Update: saw my pcp today and after several strength tests and a few reflex tests, he said everything is normal. No weakness, no abnormal reflexes. The only thing he noticed was a very slight tremor in my right hand. He said he isn't concerned at all about it but would email the neurologist to be proactive. After I posted last week I started noticing twitches and tried testing my own reflexes...do not do that. Only doctors can truly examine you. And now that I went to the doctor..,.im going to choose to believe my doctor. No signs of ALS at all. Anxiety is powerful so this is a reminder to myself to not give into it.

Thank you all got your comments and for reading!

The mind is a powerful thing. I didn't know where I was the first 3 months after my daughter was born. Sleep deprivation messes with your mind as well. Glad to know all is well....this too shall pass.

Judy please read the sticky at the top of this forum section.

You are not allowed to post on other people's threads. You have your own thread for your question, but this is not a general health forum. This is really important both for you and the original poster here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back