Diagnosis
1/2015
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
After many years of being the primary caregiver, I am having some health issues that require me to get some additional help. I am not having much luck, for example, the latest new aide was clearly intimated by the job and my pals isn’t comfortable with her, so I am back to square one, pursuing aides who have specific ALS experience. Bayada advertises that they have folks trained in concert with the ALS association. Has anyone used them? I have a specific care plan typed up and it is easy to follow, the latest aide wouldn’t even glance at it, hence my search for someone more professional. I don’t mind training, but I need someone willing to learn.

I am not familiar with Bayada. I found a caregiver by contacting a friend of mine who works at a local hospital. She talked to the discharge planning nurse at that hospital to give us a name of a really good caregiver. We then talked to that caregiver and asked her if she had ALS experience or knew any who did. We got names. It turns out that there are networks of caregivers who work together and know each other. You need to find out how to tap into that network. The one I found once worked with an ALS client and she was also able to give me the names of two other caregivers who worked with that same client. Bingo!

Talking to a hospice nurse is another way. Hospice nurses know the good caregivers and care managers. Your local ALSA care coordinator or social worker should know how to put you in touch with a hospice nurse or discharge planning nurse if you don’t have other connections. The care coordinator may also know of some caregivers.

See also this thread

Pre-nursing/nursing students and those in related fields (PT, OT, RT, SLP) are generally willing to learn. I would post on/off line with your local colleges and trade schools. With Bayada and the like, you are paying inflated middleman wages as well.

For me, ALS experience is much less important than trainability. Of all the students we used, one had a friend with a PALS parent. None of the others knew more than the abbreviation.

What kind of help are you looking for? I might have some contacts in Houston. PM/email if you want.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I have a line on someone with ALS experience so hopefully that will work out. A friend of mine is also contacting an associate in the field for some recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back