Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
US
State
CT
City
suburb
My PALS is getting a PWC in a few weeks. He is trying to decide if he wants the forward tilt. He can't transfer at this point. Would this help with making himself more comfortable with changing positions? Insurance isn't going to pay for it so we need to know if it is worthwhile to add it to the chair for his comfort.

Thanks!

If he still transfers without a lift with your support, anterior tilt might prolong that ability and can be justified for reimbursement on that basis.

It would add to positioning options in other scenarios but not, from my standpoint, enough to pay for it unless I could do so comfortably. Otherwise, if you are doing Hoyer transfers, I would just make sure he gets the seat elevator, posterior tilt, recline and elevating leg rests.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks. We have decided to not go with forward tilt. He is hesitating about the elevator, but I’m going to conviince him. He thinks it’s just spending extra money on him, but I think it’s necessary. He has a loaner with it and I think he would miss it.. He’s getting the rest.

Tammy

Permobil has a fund to pay for the seat elevator for PALS whose insurance will not pay for it (try insurance first, with a case manager if you have a Medicare Advantage plan, or get the documentation and make Medicare reject it since the wheelchair has to have prior auth anyway) and who are in financial need of that option.

Check with your DME, clinic and Permobil rep.

Get the elevate! Our insurance first said they would not pay. I asked about an appeal. I found there were 2 types of appeals. One by the patient, the other by the prescribing doctor. The nurse practitioner from our clinic appealed and we got the insurance to pay. It's worth a try!

Since he can no longer transfer, I don't see the value to him in paying for forward tilt out of pocket.

Seat elevate is a different story. As others have said, get the seat elevate. I have it on all my wheelchairs. I retrofitted it to the only wheelchair I bought (used) without it. The other three wheelchairs I have came with it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back