Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Iowa City
Got a diagnosis last week fm VA cardiology--seems I have pulmonary hypertension--right ventricle isn't working as it should. This is a form of “heart failure” with some symptoms not unlike ALS (Water pills and salt reduction primary treatments, but no cure.) I can’t find any connections with ALS on the web or here and wondered if anyone knew of links or interactions.

So now with 2 incurable and fatal diseases we could open a wagering pool as to which gets me first--proceeds to the winning disease. I'd put my money on the ALS.

Ed

i'm sorry about new diagnose, although i am more sorry about als. don't intend to comfort you, but i virtualy met many pals who are not sure why they are immobile - because of als or ms.
combination als+ms+parkinson or/and alzheimer disease is a winning combination.

Hi, Ed, you might find this review of interest. There is some reason to believe that omega 3s, vitamin D, and/or IV iron might help mitigate your symptoms, in addition to the high protein/fat diet already worth consideration by PALS.

Depending on what diuretic you're being prescribed, it may deplete other nutrients, suggesting other dietary changes/supplements.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie, thanks for the review article. It raises a question for me about PDE5 inhibitors. I have read articles about a possible role for those meds in animal model ALS. I have also noticed a PDE4 inhibitor, ibudilast, is now in phase 2 or3 trial. Do the former agents have some effects on both enzyme sub types? The PDE5 drugs have become more accessible in the past few years as patents have expired. The rate with which drug development happens makes one wonder if informal research with an agent that has already been approved by the fda for other indications might be worthwhile, so long as there are no contraindications...

Unfortunately, of the marketed PDE5 inhibitors, even the ones with the most specificity for PDE4 are >1000x more potent inhibitors of PDE5. So if the target is PDE4, a PDE5 inhibitor is unlikely to help.

Got a diagnosis last week fm VA cardiology--seems I have pulmonary hypertension--right ventricle isn't working as it should. This is a form of “heart failure” with some symptoms not unlike ALS (Water pills and salt reduction primary treatments, but no cure.) I can’t find any connections with ALS on the web or here and wondered if anyone knew of links or interactions.

So now with 2 incurable and fatal diseases we could open a wagering pool as to which gets me first--proceeds to the winning disease. I'd put my money on the ALS.

Ed
I can relate somewhat in regards to having heart issues. I have been upgraded to moderate to severe aortic stenosis. I have been put on lasik and potassium to control fluid buildup. Make sure drs are monitored the blood levels as for me I keep getting severe dehydration and it’s a fine balance I can’t get regular. I hope the best for you and hang in there. 20 yrs ago I beat stage 4 hodgekins lymphoma and many health issues since. Just sucks to deal with multiple health issues but keep positive and hope things stay positive for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back