Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Sudbury
Question on PFT. Could I get some input on the results of my MIP and MEP testing please:

Baseline Spirometry is within normal limits. There is a significant decrease in flow rates in the supine position suggesting decreased muscle strength.

The Maximal Inspiratory pressure is within normal limits, but the maximal expiratory pressure is markedly decreased. This again, suggests significant musculoskeletal difficulty with decreased recoil strength of the ribcage or abnormal movement of the diaphragm. Further assessment would be of benefit…

Past threads here to see what has been discussed in the past in order for people here to see the whole picture and better provide answers:

These results are consistent with the previous diagnosis you have had of myopathy/a myogenic process. While the exact type might still be under discussion, the distinction between primary muscle problems and primary nerve problems (the latter including ALS) remains. The good news is that you had low normal values, despite some years with issues. A lot of people with myopathy need breathing support (BiPAP), so it's something to track.

Did you have the repeat EMG you mentioned in June?

No, not June, I am being followed yearly he said until he sees something that would necessitate more frequent screening. I am waiting for an appointment in September. I was supposed to have an open biopsy on my bicep but I have not heard anything about that yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back