Diagnosis
10/1993
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Edmonton
I was watching "Dateline" last night where a group of Army Rangers were involved in a battle in Afghanistan. One of the Officers mentioned that he now suffers from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and listed some of his symptoms.

These were depression, lack of motivation, inability to finish projects and failure to focus or concentrate..to name a few. I realized I had alot of those symptoms which I just wrote off as either fatigue or dealing with ALS.

Now I'm wondering if having a life threatening diagnosis can bring on PTSD. I researched the disorder and sure enough, people who have been given a terminal diagnosis can develop PTSD! Veterans, crime victims...anyone who has suffered a traumatic experience can get this disorder.

I'm not trying to put more on people's plates that they need to deal with; you're probably saying "Oh great! ALS and PTSD...any more letters you want to give me?"
No. I just think it's important that if you feel a certain way, there's probably a reason behind it. If we can identify that reason then we can deal with it properly.

What do you think?

Mike as long as they don't give me the letters R I P they can label me any way they want. Interesting concept of the stress disorder as we all know this can be probably one of the most stressful things on the stress scale.

Al...you are so funny the way you say things..."as long as they don't give me the letters RIP..." You crack me up.
Dana

Al said:
Mike as long as they don't give me the letters R I P they can label me any way they want. Interesting concept of the stress disorder as we all know this can be probably one of the most stressful things on the stress scale.

Well you better stay off those lawnmowers or those will be the letters ya get. At the very least next time wear body armour along with your helmet. I love your stories and want to keep you around to tell us somemore.
Love and Prayers
Marlo

Maybe I should borrow my son in laws body armour and use my motorcycle helmet. This week I only hit the fireplace flue vent. A little ding. Guess I gotta slow down or it will be RIP or rest in pieces.

Hey guys! I don't mean to throw cold water on a good time, but I was actually looking for serious answers and opinions.

I like Al's stories as well, he's one of a kind! But please don't take this thread off on a tangent.

Thanks, eh!:-D

hi Mike,
I agree with what you said. What can be more tramatic that being told you have a disease for which there is no cure and no effective treatment. And, the life expectancy is two to five years! Often times this is said by a doctor who does not even look you in the eyes and has no positive comments.
I would not be surprised if a number of PALS also have PTSD.
I feel I don't have PTSD because I have a very supportive medical team, a loving family, faith and hope and helping friends. That is not always the case.
Interesting research that you did.
Leah

Sorry bout that Mike but as you will see I did agree with your theory before getting sidetracked. We are now finding that firefighters are suffering PTSD long after retiring and no one ever suspected why the nightmares and inability to sleep just to put a finger on a couple of symptoms.

Thanks for that Leah!:-D

Al said:
Sorry bout that Mike but as you will see I did agree with your theory before getting sidetracked. We are now finding that firefighters are suffering PTSD long after retiring and no one ever suspected why the nightmares and inability to sleep just to put a finger on a couple of symptoms.
No apology necessary Al!:mrgreen:

I would imagine firefighters are at a HUGE risk for PTSD. Any idea how they deal with it? I know there's group therapy and meds but do you know of anyone who went a different route?

Cheers!

Not really. It wasn't talked about much and was voluntary and no one wanted to be labelled so there wasn't much talk other than the Employee Assistance Plan would take care of you. Union was very suspicious of something the city paid for getting back to them and your job going out the door. Not a great working condition but that was the 80's and 90's in Ontario.

It was like that in the military as well.
If you went to the doc because you're feeling "stressed out" you were seen as a whiner and malingering.
Like you say, that was the 80's. It conditioned us though, to push these feelings to the back and not really deal with them. Makes me wonder about that and the problem of alcoholism in the army.

We have that in the fire service as well but it's not talked about by us macho type guys. Soldiers I'm sure are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back