Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Waterloo
My husband was diagnosed September 2008 with limb onset ALS. We are beginning to notice that he is yawning excessively and drooling on occassion. Could this be pseudobulbar or just the natural progression of the disease? He also had two episodes of choking this week.

Hi, Shelly ... If your husband's been diagnosed with ALS, then those would be a natural progression into the bulbar area, I think. (I'm no expert on medical definitions, however.)

Yawning is part of it, and so is excess saliva (or reduced swallowing), which can lead to drooling. In my case, I have no "lip seal" left, so I drool when eating and drinking, unless I hold a napkin over my mouth. The "lip seal" is when we close our mouths so food or liquid can't escape. Weak muscles around the mouth can reduce the lip seal.

If he is choking, he should see a speech therapist or pathologist, to learn ways of reducing the choking .... this can be dangerous, and can let food or drink go down "the wrong way" and enter his lungs, leading to pneumonia. So let his neurologist know that he is choking.

Good luck to you both.

Husband

Thanks for your reply, we have another appt with the neuro on 11/25 we will let him know at that time. He is more or less getting what he calls strangled, and has to clear his throat alot. it seems that he drools alot when he is walking or sleeping, not so much just sitting around.

In my case the yawning happens when I'm in a breezy situation - whether it is in the car with air conditioning or anywhere I get wind blowing on me. Winter cold will cause it also. And then I get a cramp in my throat which takes a bit to clear. Just part of the progression. Like you have been advised... careful with the choking.

Sharonca

my husband was diagnosed in September 2008 with ALS bulbar he has excessive yawning and some problems swallowing. He had a swallow study in October said he was still swallowing good just to slow down and think more about what he is doing when he is eating or drinking we noticed he got choked easier if he was distracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back