Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
My PALS is beginning to feel some sensitivity on his heels due to being in bed longer at night and trying to keep his feet up during the day. I thought about rolling up a towel really tight and placing it under his ankles at night or using a roll pillow. I also know there are boots but wondered if any CALS would have suggestions on what you used.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi Katy,

Nice lotion or coconut oil and massage those heels every couple of hours thru the day and as often as possible in when bed.

You can use foam or pressure boots to keep the pressure off them. A rolled towel will disrupt circulation and cause a whole new lot of issues.

I developed sores on my heels after spending a lot of time in bed over a 2 month period (respiratory infection).

In desperation, I simply wore a pair of lightweight tennis shoes to bed. It took over a month for the heel sores to clear up, but they eventually did.

I am sure a special purpose boot would work better, but it was easier to use the tennis shoes I had laying around unused.

Steve

great post for your 1000th Steve :)

Not in a million years would I have thought of trying tennis shoes!

We modded the Prevalon pressure boots, which address both forward droop and lateral tilt if you connect them with a sash and customize side support. I wouldn't use a terrycloth towel because of abrasion concerns. If L/R movement is not an issue, you could also use travel size bed pillows such as they have at BBN.

My husband had edema and diabetes so regular shoes would not have worked.

When you say keeping feet up during the day, are you talking about a wheelchair, or...? We always used socks and often foam in the wheelchair foot rests.

I have a pair of cheap foam boots I've been wearing in bed ever since heel problem appeared. No problems at all since

We have a friend who is a Nurse Practitioner specializing in wound care. When DH got a pressure sore on his heel, she recommended these boots - Medline Heelmedix Heel Protector. Got them online at Walmart.

Attachments

• 6146.jpg
    6146.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 245
I'd try a pillow under his calfs. I agree a towel would be too firm, but a pillow that stays above the heels might be enough pressure relief without causing circulatory issues.
Vincent

Another idea is cheap foam booties with a small cutout for the heel to allow air circulation and relief of pressure off the heel. This assumes that the foam is thick enough so that the skin of the heel won’t touch anything when the foot is resting on the bed.

Katy, I still have fluidized boots that my husband only used a few times. If you pm me your address I’ll send them

Katy won't be able to PM yet Nuts - contact Fiona by PM and ask her to send your contact to Katy for you :)

Thank you Tillie. Nikki has made contact so hopefully I can get them in the mail this week. I’m here so seldom these days I don’t have a handle on whose at what level.

Thank you, Nuts. I just sent you an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back